Stolen heat lamp! Chilly chicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be furious if someone made ME stay in a 65 degree house and I have more than plenty of insulation. That is really sad.
sad.png

wow, i have one of those extra large porta kennels with two reflectors. the one in back is a 75w and the front by its door/gate is 60w and they eat and run around but when it comes time to rest they are back near the 75w lamp. mine are quiet and just do a little chirping.
no heat at all would be terrible and i know i would lose a few. at least a 100w lamp can make all the difference.

I have used as low as a 40w I just had to hang it closer too them. At one point I had 4 brooders in the house and was running out of light bulbs
big_smile.png
You've gotta get those babies some heat.

Jess

Yes, this is a chicken issue, but I also see it as a RELATIONAL issue. "Stole" the heat lamp? Took it & you can't have it? Doesn't trust your judgement to do what's right? Yikes, that's harsh. If you are 12 yrs. old & meanie is your dad, that's one thing. If meanie is your DH, wow! Where does he draw the line? Where do you?
Might wanna take this to Dan Savage or Carolyn Hax.
Good luck!

If you nicely ask for it back and he doesn't return it, then just go out and buy another heat lamp. It would end up costing more than the electric bill would have, but that will nip in the bud future overcontrolling issues and teach him a lesson. He has no cause to get angry with you over a 12$ heat lamp (perhaps 20 if you have to buy a bulb as well as the reflector,) since as you say, he "stole" it from you and based on your post, isn't giving it back even after your expressed wish. But if he does get angry, that tells you something too about his character. This sounds like it's about more than cold chicks.

A 100 watt bulb burning for 24 hours a day for 30 straight days would cost $7.20 at 10 cent a kilowatt which is a fairly standard rate.

My five RIRs out grew the heat lamp at 3 weeks and have been outside ever since, they pretty much stayed as far away from the lamp as they could get at a little over two weeks, it was 120 watts and 2 feet off the ground.

His beer fridge is probably costing $15 bucks a month so you better unplug that.

As everyone has said - 2 weeks without a heat source and they can get sick and die very easily when chilled. Raising chicks is a responsiblitiy not to be taken lightly. This is cruel. I wish I had not opened this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom