Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
Today I had an ultrasound done on my hen and found out she has stomach cancer which they believe has spread from her reproductive system. Does anybody have any remedies or success on treating/curing this? I've read about success in humans from baking soda water, and some from fenbendazole, but have never heard of anyone giving these things to chickens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as she's running out of time and means so much to me.

I'm sorry to hear your hen has stomach cancer. What might work in humans may not work in birds. I've never heard of baking soda water nor fenbendazole treating cancer.
Since the cancer probably spread from the reproductive system into the stomach, chances are that it is an aggressive type cancer. It would be in your best interest to cull the sick bird.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. bicarbonate soda does indeed change Ph, reduce acidity and that is beneficial when it comes to tumor activity. But it's not a "cure," and I don't want to write a novel, it's just much more complicated. I would for sure not hesitate to give the chicken some bicarbonate soda water. But again, I wouldn't expect that to stop/cure the cancer. Sorry you're dealing with this. I lost my Mom from this.

Sorry that you are dealing with this. Chickens don’t have stomachs, but the cancer may be metastasized to the abdomen and other organs. They have a crop and a gizzard where the stored food is ground up before entering the intestines. Oviduct cancer is very common in hens after the age of 2 years. There would be no cure for it. Baking soda is not something you should give chickens because it has too much sodium. It can be one of the causes of gout.

Just curious, what is your oldest chicken you've had? I noticed you've been a memeber for several years. :)
I recently lost a 13+ year old hen, several others made it to 10+ yrs, so they can be pretty long lived.

I am sorry to hear your hen has stomach cancer. :hugs If her cancer has metastasized chances are good it's all over her body....organs, brain, bones. I've heard of humans using baking soda the alter the bodies PH enough to kill off the cancer, however the time it might take to do this being that the cancer may be everywhere, will only tax her kidneys, chickens have a difficult time processing high levels of sodium. The baking soda might kill her first. Death from sodium is a painful way to die.

This said, if she were mine I'd keep her alive until her quality of life and that spark in her eyes is gone. Then I would put her down. I am so sorry, it's tough to watch them decline. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom