I recently lost a 13+ year old hen, several others made it to 10+ yrs, so they can be pretty long lived.

I am sorry to hear your hen has stomach cancer. :hugs If her cancer has metastasized chances are good it's all over her body....organs, brain, bones. I've heard of humans using baking soda the alter the bodies PH enough to kill off the cancer, however the time it might take to do this being that the cancer may be everywhere, will only tax her kidneys, chickens have a difficult time processing high levels of sodium. The baking soda might kill her first. Death from sodium is a painful way to die.

This said, if she were mine I'd keep her alive until her quality of life and that spark in her eyes is gone. Then I would put her down. I am so sorry, it's tough to watch them decline. :hugs
What do you feed your flock that you think may have helped them live so long?

What do you feed your flock that you think may have helped them live so long?
I fed a variety of feed brands, always switching it up. However I don't think feed brand has a huge impact on their longevity. I also lost several birds at age 1, 2, 3, 4, yrs etc...Their breed, genetics, how much exercise, do they get enough greens in their diet, environment, quality of water, etc... all play a big part in how long they live. Genetics are a big one, production breeds can burn out at 2 very easily. What Breed is your girl and how old is she?

I fed a variety of feed brands, always switching it up. However I don't think feed brand has a huge impact on their longevity. I also lost several birds at age 1, 2, 3, 4, yrs etc...Their breed, genetics, how much exercise, do they get enough greens in their diet, environment, quality of water, etc... all play a big part in how long they live. Genetics are a big one, production breeds can burn out at 2 very easily. What Breed is your girl and how old is she?
She's a buff orpington. 6 (7 end of may)

She's a buff orpington. 6 (7 end of may)
6 yrs is considered a Senior bird if they aren't a Heritage or rare breed (these tend to live longer). If you can carry Buff Orpingtons to 6 years of age, you've done well with them. Some Buffs can live longer, others can pass on earlier however. 6 years is pretty average for hatchery breeds.

Just curious, what is your oldest chicken you've had? I noticed you've been a memeber for several years. :)
NOt asking me but my flock is all almost 7 years old.
I haven't dealt with an reproductive diseases.

I do not feed treats at all.

6 yrs is considered a Senior bird if they aren't a Heritage or rare breed (these tend to live longer). If you can carry Buff Orpingtons to 6 years of age, you've done well with them. Some Buffs can live longer, others can pass on earlier however. 6 years is pretty average for hatchery breeds.
I agree...6 years old is a good age.

Back
Top Bottom