Kent, UK
Hello All,
Ok quick run down..
5 silkies
4 of them are broody
1 of them for about 2 months!!!!!!

Ive tried taking eggs away quickly
Ive tried locking out of nest box
Ive tried frozen bottles under nest area ( they just sat on them!)
Ive tried crate’s for nearly 2 weeks
Ive dunked them in water for a few minutes

NOTHING works!!!!

any other suggestions please?

when the weather gets colder, will that just ( hopefully) snap them out of it?

should i just let them run theyre course now?
weirdly, the one thats been broody the longest is randomly laying eggs occasionally

Im making sure they all eat and drink n stretch a couple times a day at least

I know my friendly silkies are known for broodiness but if anyone has any other ideas, id be grateful

Thank you

None of those techniques will work to break a broody. You need to deprive her of access to a nest, isolate her from making contact with any solid surface that reflects and sustains her elevated body temperature, and ignore her frustrations at being confined away from nest boxes. You need to do this for two or three days running, day and night.

We use a wire cage with a floor that is open mesh to allow air to circulate under the broody to cool her gradually and in a sustained manner (no brief cold water dunkings or ice packs) and do this day and night with food and water until she no longer makes a beeline to a nest when released. About three days and she should be broken.

None of those techniques will work to break a broody. You need to deprive her of access to a nest, isolate her from making contact with any solid surface that reflects and sustains her elevated body temperature, and ignore her frustrations at being confined away from nest boxes. You need to do this for two or three days running, day and night.

We use a wire cage with a floor that is open mesh to allow air to circulate under the broody to cool her gradually and in a sustained manner (no brief cold water dunkings or ice packs) and do this day and night with food and water until she no longer makes a beeline to a nest when released. About three days and she should be broken.
Thank you for your reply, but i done exactly that for just under two weeks!!!
Used old dog cages with wire floor, raised off the ground, and they had just food and water.
Still broody!

Back
Top Bottom