Stop the Torture

If more people knew how it was made, then less people would eat it. Kind of like everything on this world. Most people I know, if they knew how their meats were made.... They would be a vegetarian.

Fatty liver. And I don't eat pate, not based on a moral decision, based on the fact I don't like liver.

And it's banned in CA as of later this year.

Deb

Gross. Okay, I get it now. Thanks for that. Luckily I don't eat things I can't pronounce anyway.
sickbyc.gif

I've never heard of it, and I'm afraid to google it. I might get nightmares. What is it? (Sugar coat it for me... I can't handle gruesome very well..)

pretty much force feed them corn every 6-12 hours for about 3 weeks. so much crap going in that their insides look like Jabba the Hut.

Not to throw any wood on the fire, but not ALL restaurants use Foie Gras from geese that have been raised this way.
Most "Foie" that you get at restaurants is not actually foie gras, and is only liver. Also, there are many producers who no longer raise geese that way, but still sell foie. It is much smaller, but still delicate & rich & all the things that one would expect when they eat foie gras.
Where I work we sell foie that we get from a local farmer & he raises all of the geese as free range birds, they just are fed a much higher calorie diet than most other meat birds, and we serve two lobes when we poach foie as a meal.
Ask the restaurants you see foie on the menu at if they have product that is certified humane, and if they can't prove it, don't order it & explain why. Believe me, we want to sell product, so knowing we lost a sale because of a purveyor's practices is a huge motivator for change re: foie gras, veal, etc.
Here in the Portland, Maine area we have a VERY educated foodie community, and 90% of restaurants serve "humane foie".

Unfortunately, most meat served in restaurants (or from the grocery store) suffers terribly for our nation's gluttony. The best way to avoid supporting inhumane practices is to buy from farmer's markets and CSA farms (or raise your own). That Oscar Meyer hot dog is brought to us by all sorts of methods we would be disgusted by.

I have never heard of that before till now. Never even seen it on a menu. That is pretty cruel how they force feed them. Kinda reminds me of veil. I wish there was more farmers markets around where I am that did things humanly.

This is good information to know about the humane foie gras. I'd never eat liver of any kind anyway, but I'll admit I'm surprised so many people don't know how this comes about. Glad someone brought up the topic, and someone else brought up how it could be done humanely.

Back
Top Bottom