Stop the Torture

This is good information to know about the humane foie gras. I'd never eat liver of any kind anyway, but I'll admit I'm surprised so many people don't know how this comes about. Glad someone brought up the topic, and someone else brought up how it could be done humanely.

X2!

I'll admit i didn't know either, not that i would have ever eaten it anyways.. i am really food picky. I do think it's important to practice humane methods and clearly just from this thread there are alternatives, so falls back to educating oneself. :)

Last edited:
Here is a retorical question that will make people stop and think:
Does anyone ever grind dogs to make chicken food?

...So why grind cockerels to make dogfood?

Actually, if the ten-thousands of cockerel hatchlings that are ground each day were preserved, raised, and exported, world hunger would go extinct. But the dogs would have to eat table scraps...

what i don't get is why to humans put the word human in anything that involves being kind and friendly when humans are the most arrogant blood thirsty things on the planet; nothing else on this miserable rock starts wars, genocides, killing anything just to see things die for spite or fun.

i've heard of this horrible seen videos really not nice they aren't even gentle

any1 seen how their cheep down duvets, jackets etc are filled. Live plucked geese and ducks horrible sight they are plucked and left to grow feathers again plucked and sent to foie gras farms. when plucking if the the skin gets torn they simply sew it back up with the bird screeming on their laps really sickening. i can feel my eyes welling up just thinking about it
hit.gif
so i dont get any down products now unless they are certified as non live plucked.

This is good information to know about the humane foie gras. I'd never eat liver of any kind anyway, but I'll admit I'm surprised so many people don't know how this comes about. Glad someone brought up the topic, and someone else brought up how it could be done humanely.

Even if you don't plan to eat Foie Gras, if you see it on a menu ask if it was certified humanely raised, then pretend you aren't ordering it because it is not certified humane.
wink.png
They won't know you are just being a food activist. Plus, when demand increases for things like that it does matter. Veal is much more often humanely raised than it ever used to be. Consumers put enough pressure on the industry that they have evolved some, and "humanely raised veal" is VERY easy to come by now.

Here in Portland, Maine there is an incredibly active local food movement, it is also one of the largest I have seen. We have an incredible bounty all year long, and between CSAs, Farmers Markets, and my garden I have not had to shop at the grocery stores since I moved here. I go to them for the few items I can't buy from my CSA farm or at one of the 5 farmers markets I can go to (within 20 minutes of my house) each week, and that is not much at all. With this winter being so mild I have not even had to resort to super market greens, root veggies, squash or ANYTHING (aside from citrus). My Christmas meal was all purchased Xmas Eve at the market & my father was floored by how many veggies I had gotten (8 veggie dishes total!) ad how tasty everything was. We are very blessed.

I would say 65% of my neighbors raise chickens, many of them have goats or cows or pigs as well. The man in my life teases me that, "No shed goes un-noticed," because I am forever craning my neck to flock watch at all the houses in the area. It is great, because I feel like I am in a community of like-minded individuals, but it stinks because I know I will NEVER be able to sell eggs. I can't even give them away. I have to bring them to friends in the city limits, or to work where the chefs fight over them for egg sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom