Stopped Deep Litter: Why Doesn't My Coop Reek?

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
I inadvertently stopped topping off droppings w/ litter a few months ago yet my coop has virtually no smell. It is well ventilated.

Details: I switched from straw to pine shavings and found I had to scatter pine around every other day to keep it fresh otherwise it reeked terribly.

Went on a trip, got distracted, went on another trip, and no pine shavings got put in. And the smell abated.

So I stopped putting down anything. Now, months later, no smell.

What the hay? How can this be?

I inadvertently stopped topping off droppings w/ litter a few months ago yet my coop has virtually no smell. It is well ventilated.

Details: I switched from straw to pine shavings and found I had to scatter pine around every other day to keep it fresh otherwise it reeked terribly.

Went on a trip, got distracted, went on another trip, and no pine shavings got put in. And the smell abated.

So I stopped putting down anything. Now, months later, no smell.

What the hay? How can this be?

I only add new shavings to mine once a week. Mid week I do go rake it around or throw some scratch grains down and let the "kids" do it for me. Mine has never smelled like poop. Even when we had a week of 100+ degrees.

Thanx for trying! Nope, always dry as a bone, w/ or wo/ pine. Did not add ton when I was using it, only scattered a bit never more than a "dusting".

I'm flummoxed and pleased, I suppose! It's just so Not By the Book I must say it makes me question the book a bit!!

I've had the same experience with my coop. I started with about four inches and added about 1/3 to 1/2 a bale of pine once a month until it got about 10 inches deep and I haven't topped it off in about three months with zero odor. I cleaned out yesterday for the first time (after nine months) to do some cleaning and make a few modifications to my doors and nest boxes. Pine is 10 times more absorbent than straw, if there is enough surface area all the poo dries very fast and never has a chance to smell.

I only add shavings to the coop when it looks like it is really nasty, like, all I can see is droppings and stuff. I'd guess every 3 weeks for 14 chickens in a TINY coop. (yes, I'm building a bigger coop) no smells for us. I'm thinking people who add shavings too soon are the ones who get the odor? I clean mine out once a year.

Wow, could that be, that I'm adding pine TOO often? That really doesn't make a ton of sense ot me but maybe, eh?

It really felt like that: the more I used to the pine to keep it fresh the worse it smelled. Huh.

Well, now I'm in the odd position of being afraid to clean my coop or put down fresh anything b/c it's so wonderful doing not one blessed thing and yet having no smell!

Back
Top Bottom