Stopped Laying!!

What do you feed them? Chickens stop laying in winter due of shorter daylight hours and most don't take their winter break until weeks after solstice when the days are longer.
I feed them starter feed because I have only 2 laying and 5 not but I give them oyster shells.

All kinds of things can impact laying. New layers can have starts and stops sometimes. Anything that stresses them can cause a stoppage in laying. Anything that has changed in their world, may seem minor or go completely unnoticed by humans, but may put them off. Even a predator hanging around the coop overnight can put them off laying. If they are healthy otherwise, eating , drinking, acting like normal chickens, then I would just keep an eye on them and be patient.

They are new to laying. Plus most stop or slow down in the winter. Have you check in hidy holes. Often new layers will lay is other places than in the nesting boxes
They both used the same box every day (we have 5 boxes). And then right when they quit laying we found one outside the box. I've been looking everyday to see if there are anymore outside the boxes and haven't seen any, however I do use the deep litter method and they could have fallen into the shavings.

Its just odd that they started laying when it was colder and shorter days but now that its warming up and daylight is longer they stopped.

Eh, especially with young/new layers, almost anything goes. My two pullets from last spring that started laying first this fall have both stopped laying now (and one is actively molting), whereas the two that started later are still producing.

Back
Top Bottom