Store Bought/Online Coops

Lynzi777

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Woodstock, CT
I've been skimming the forum for chicken coops, it seems a lot of people make their own. I'm curious as to how many people on here have bought their coops or ordered online and are happy with them. I'm looking to do this as a small hobby and plan to stay small - no more than 5-6 chickens. So I'm thinking of going to Tractor Supply or finding one online. I have read reviews on the one at Tractor Supply and it's not so weather proof so I may have to alter it a bit by staining it and adding a more durable roof to it. But if I do order one online I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

well I think a better idea would be to check out craigslist... You can usually get some pretty decent coops on there for cheap if not free... PLUS local carpentars etc will build chicken coops and post an ad on craigslist, also that way it is local, and you can go and look at it...

I have been looking on CL and all I've come acros are ads for custom built ones starting at $450 and up. Which is fine, but I did come across one on EBay going for $265 that serves the same purpose. I plan on staying small with this hobby so I don't need anything extravagant but also don't want to attempt building one myself either because I am not handy at all! LOL

LOL the thing about ebay is you have to watch shipping... Also, On craigslist, check surrounding areas, because alot of times people put an ad in the wrong district per say.... I have seen like 4 different coops on craigslist... and 2 of them came with full grown chickens...

This was definitely Free Shipping - I wouldn't pay to ship - especially if they were to charge $100+ ! I think I'll just go to Tractor Supply and then if I need to alter that one a bit I will.

I'm going to order this one I found online. I really like it and like the fact that it holds up to 12 bantams (even though we plan on keeping no more than 6). I like the extra room they'll have.

I'm going to order this one I found online. I really like it and like the fact that it holds up to 12 bantams (even though we plan on keeping no more than 6). I like the extra room they'll have.

Couple things about these:

1. The numbers of people unhappy with these far and away outnumber the people who are happy with them. The vast majority of the time they leak/fall apart in anything but the driest of climates.

2. You're going to HATE not having a run you can stand up in, sooner or later you will have to spend some time in there, and even if it's only for a few minutes to grab an egg or a sick bird you're going to be on your hands and knees in a muddy poo filled run.

I build coops for extra cash. Every year I have someone email me and ask me if I can compete with coops like these. I can't. But then mine don't leak or fall apart. I've also done some rehab work on a couple of these in order to get someone through a winter, they ALWAYS end up buying a custom coop from me. I'd contact a local builder. My guess is they'd be more than willing (maybe by using some cheaper materials, or leaving the painting to you) to work with you and get the cost down to something you can work into your budget easier.

Couple things about these:

1. The numbers of people unhappy with these far and away outnumber the people who are happy with them. The vast majority of the time they leak/fall apart in anything but the driest of climates.

2. You're going to HATE not having a run you can stand up in, sooner or later you will have to spend some time in there, and even if it's only for a few minutes to grab an egg or a sick bird you're going to be on your hands and knees in a muddy poo filled run.

I build coops for extra cash. Every year I have someone email me and ask me if I can compete with coops like these. I can't. But then mine don't leak or fall apart. I've also done some rehab work on a couple of these in order to get someone through a winter, they ALWAYS end up buying a custom coop from me. I'd contact a local builder. My guess is they'd be more than willing (maybe by using some cheaper materials, or leaving the painting to you) to work with you and get the cost down to something you can work into your budget easier.

AND it could be to your specification..

Back
Top Bottom