Storing duck eggs

Yeah I wouldn't keep an egg covered in poo on the counter.
sickbyc.gif
I'd wash it for sure. I've only had a few of those but for the most part my eggs are 'clean.'

What kind of ducks are they?

Im excited because I am hopefully getting a Serama rooster this week.  Best of both worlds, small chicken.  Size of a non fully grown chicken.  Figured the baby blues or whatever from them growing up might go away.  Bantam ducks sound wonderful.  I will have to keep them in mind.  

Are the eggs the size of large chicken eggs or smaller?

They are Australian Spotted ducks. Their eggs are the same size as our Orpington eggs with the chickens being 10 pounds heavier than the ducks for the same sized egg.

Thank you guys for all your help. I didnt know you could wash and leave duck eggs on the counter. Not sure i really want to do that as an option since i have cats and a puppy who cant keep his mouth to himself. But at least it gives me another option. Im hoping since its cooling down where I am I wont have to worry about it too much and that any eggs I get will go right into baked goods. Apple season is around the corner after all :) .
They are Australian Spotted ducks. Their eggs are the same size as our Orpington eggs with the chickens being 10 pounds heavier than the ducks for the same sized egg.
I will have to look into them. They sound wonderful. And well, I'm always open to more ducks! Do they get along good with bigger ducks like bantam chickens will do with bigger chickens? Do any larger males hurt them?

I wouldnt want to add some just to have them hurt because Im doing it wrong!

I will have to look into them.  They sound wonderful.  And well, I'm always open to more ducks!  Do they get along good with bigger ducks like bantam chickens will do with bigger chickens?  Do any larger males hurt them?

I wouldnt want to add some just to have them hurt because Im doing it wrong!

Ours get along fine with everything. We have raised ducklings with drakes and even had hens sitting on nests with nearly a dozen drakes in a 1:1 ratio with the hens. We have had them with our LF Orpingtons and with our bantam Silkies but we separate the chickens and ducks during nesting because the chickens will annoy the ducks by trying to lay in their nests instead of going in the coop to use their nest boxes if they see ducks sitting on nests. We had a chicken hen go broody and try to kick a duck hen off her own nest.

Our drakes have no interest in our chickens because we brood them separately. I think people mostly have problems when drakes imprint onto chicks in the brooder or are raised by a chicken hen because it confuses them but keeping small ducks with large chickens helps too. They can be fine 99% of the time but it only takes that one time to be fatal if a drake tries breeding a chicken hen. Our ducks have no interest in our chickens due to the whole "birds of a feather flock together" thing.

Last edited:
Ours get along fine with everything. We have raised ducklings with drakes and even had hens sitting on nests with nearly a dozen drakes in a 1:1 ratio with the hens. We have had them with our LF Orpingtons and with our bantam Silkies but we separate the chickens and ducks during nesting because the chickens will annoy the ducks by trying to lay in their nests instead of going in the coop to use their nest boxes if they see ducks sitting on nests. We had a chicken hen go broody and try to kick a duck hen off her own nest.

Our drakes have no interest in our chickens because we brood them separately. I think people mostly have problems when drakes imprint onto chicks in the brooder or are raised by a chicken hen because it confuses them but keeping small ducks with large chickens helps too. They can be fine 99% of the time but it only takes that one time to be fatal if a drake tries breeding a chicken hen. Our ducks have no interest in our chickens due to the whole "birds of a feather flock together" thing.
Thank you for the information. I will keep them in mind when I decide I want more ducks.

I just got ducklings and chicks that were all sexed as females. Should I be okay brooding them together?

Back
Top Bottom