Storing eggs for a broody hen - questions

CHICKEN BUFF

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
First-timer here --- I have 3 extremely broody cochins and today I started setting aside eggs for them to hatch.

At this moment they're in an egg carton at room temp of about 75-78. IS THIS TOO HOT?

Do I need to spray them with water? I have some I'd like to hatch from this morning's collection but I accidentally rinsed them off with water. They haven't been refrigerated --- are they still okay?

How many days will they last in these conditions before I put them under a hen? A week?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A week is the most I would allow hatching eggs to go without starting the incubating process (in this case, broody hens). Washing the eggs isn't a good idea, and might lower your hatch rate. I prefer to use eggs I haven't messed with. Don't refrigerate and don't spray with water.

Also, to make sure your hens don't give up on being broody, make sure they have a couple fresh eggs you switch out daily so they think they've got something. Make sure you mark eggs you want to hatch so you don't accidentally remove them.

Most hatchers will only set eggs a week or less and most don't wash before setting because it removes the bloom. (That doesn't mean you can't or they won't hatch.) The recommendation for storing eggs is 10 days or less. Once you hit 2 weeks you can expect a significant drop in hatch rates.

I would try to find a cooler spot for storing the eggs. I would try to keep them under 70F. Eggs can start sporadic development at 80F+. 60/65F is more ideal. Mine usually end up between 65-70 during storage.

And no, don't spray with water. If you have a more humid place to store them, that's great, but don't water them.

I'll try to find a cooler spot in the house for the eggs ---- it would help if hubs would quit turning down the air conditioning, claiming "you just have to get used to the heat!" It's been around 100 all summer!

Back
Top Bottom