Storm/possible tornado damaged one of my coops tonight

Quote:
Trust me, I am already frustrated most of the time anyway with the St. Louis Blues, but I still watch them.
lol.png

Haven't heard back from the corporate office yet, we are playing phone tag. My local agent, I was told came by and took some pics. I haven't turned it in as a claim yet, I want to see what they say. I've got a high deductable, so it may not be worth it to turn it in. The back right wall has pulled a little farther away this morning. Everything has been shifted back and to the right. It looks like one of those Dr. Suess houses only I didn't make it that way. ha ha. All the rafters on the back side from what I can tell are no longer attached to sill, the fascia came off so I am able to see, there's a decent gap. I can't tell in the front, the fascia is still on it. I'm not sure if the wall moving did that or when the tree took out my ridge board caused it to lift the roof. It looks like the rafters are still attached to the rest of the ridge board from what I remember in my quick look. I wish I would have used screws to join the rafters to the sill like I did the ridge board. My brother in law was toenailing those with nails (because I can't hit a nail straight to save my life) while I used the cordless drill to secure them to the ridge board. Maybe it would have made a difference, maybe not. Can't wait to finally get the tree off so I can check the building over better.

ok, so I retitled my heading. Perhaps the word "demolished" was too strong. That night I was pretty upset. I'm crossing my fingers that I might be able to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Chicken Chat, so sorry for your loss of your beautiful coop, along with sadness for everyone else who has lived through the horrible weather and after math back there. BUT, I do have to send congrat's to you, you built them a building that was to protect them, and By God! THAT is exactly what it did!

Got the report today that the tornado that went through just down the road from me is being classified as an F1, on the border of an F2. The report says it tracked 16 miles, touching down at intervals. 23 of the homes it ripped up are reported as uninhabitable. I feel so badly for them.

It's been a long day, but the tree is finally off the roof and cut up. She was a chunky old girl and didn't want to die but she came down in the end. Some pretty scary moments there for awhile. The roof is going to have to come off. The only rafters still attached to the sills are in the front right corner. Everything else has been picked up and shifted several inches to the right. The front sill has been split so will need to be replaced. Need to borrow the low jack from work to check the floor framing and get her level again. I think once the roof is off, the walls will go back to square. Hoping at least. I am grateful the windows didn't bust out. May be able to salvage it. Not enough to cover a claim on the insurance but at least they were going to cover it, no exculsion. Good to know in the future.
Another large arm on that massive tree is over my big 8x8 coop. I'm worried that since it split down the trunk, that it will weaken the rest of that tree so I am looking at getting her at least topped. I can't believe how much they want for that. No rain in the forecast for a few days so I am hoping to start demo on the roof in the next few days if I feel better. Been a bit under the weather.

Back
Top Bottom