Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Yeah, you must have a different kind of peach. We grow them here in Michigan. Red Haven is the only variety I can think of by name right now.

Still, damn, that sucks.
Yeah, I bought peaches (multiple varieties) thinking I wouldn't get enough chill hours. Instead, they don't grow enough between spring and winter to not freeze thrue the first time the weather gets cold.

FROZE THRU - Trunks a little thicker than my thumb became popsicles. We were sub freezing over 27 hours. Freak weather.
Would the peaches have leafed out yet in your climate? (Possible check: leaves on other trees that usually do it at the same time. I've noticed quite a lot of variation among different kinds of trees, where some are fully green while others don't even start until a month later.)

I would not completely give up on the peaches until you get well past the point where they should be growing for the spring, and they aren't.

I've been surprised by plants both ways, with some surviving when I thought they would die and some dieing when I thought they should be fine.

We knew we were north to try citrus, losses were expected. But i didn't expect to lose PEACHES! Either I'll have to start with larger plants, or I'll have to pot them for the first two years and bring them in (in where??? for really horrific weather)
I planted a Florida King two years ago that is still kicking. But it grew a lot between the first and second year and would have been much bigger than yours during the 2022 Christmas freeze. We had over 24 hours of freezing temps with the coldest being 15F.

Last edited:
321618361_513623244079120_3306854033048341664_n.jpg

This was BEFORE it got really cold. and stayed there.

Was not a good year for green growing things.
/Edit I think if I could get something established, it would have a chance - but these $10 root stock bundles from TSC don't have a chance to get comfortable on these grounds and put som mass on before they get absolutely thrashed by Ma Nature.

I'd have to look at the boxes for which cultivars, but they were all selected for low frost hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom