Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

16825494541563200956834357850196.jpg
16825495353018752213224640485295.jpg
16825495648133660146086990372707.jpg

@U_Stormcrow, what long term goals do you have with your farm? Self sufficiency, selling meat/produce, other?
One day, I'd like all my meat to come from here, and more than a trivial amount of fruit/veggies. We have some blueberry bushes, a huge number of wild blackberry, several grape vines (two muscadine, one seedless not big enough to fruit, and one seedless that probably died in our freak late freeze), a dozen asparagus, a few raised beds with herbs, an olive tree, some other things we are trying. Lost basically all the citrus, possibly lost the peaches as well...

and once my culling project is at a point where I'm happy with the offspring, I plan to sell birds. I figured it would take 5 years to get something I'd be proud to sell - or at least provide a satisfactory product. This is year two of that plan.

Raised beds might be a good "work around" for your heavy clay. Or maybe a stop gap measure while you work on your clay.

Losing all your citrus and peaches... wow, that's a kick in the shins. Did the trees themselves survive, or did you lose the whole shebang?
FROZE THRU - Trunks a little thicker than my thumb became popsicles. We were sub freezing over 27 hours. Freak weather.

Well, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it.
We knew we were north to try citrus, losses were expected. But i didn't expect to lose PEACHES! Either I'll have to start with larger plants, or I'll have to pot them for the first two years and bring them in (in where??? for really horrific weather)

FROZE THRU - Trunks a little thicker than my thumb became popsicles. We were sub freezing over 27 hours. Freak weather.
We must have different peaches in n IL. Gets to -25f . My uncle had dwarf peach trees... until the black walnuts roots got too close and killed it.

Back
Top Bottom