Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
Hoping for and expecting another batch of kits in about a week, still have four bunnies in the freezer, so will skip a month before breeding any again.

Trying to clear out the freezer to make room for more.

Need to take a bunch of birds, old birds, and either grind them, stock them, or turn them into dog food. Don't have room for the bones. Need to take two goats, too. There isn't room for more than one at a time.

So, not buying meat for a while so I can continue to breed/cull towards my goals.

I would like to have your “problems” 😂 I try to eat meat only from a good source, so I usually only eat chicken about 2-4 times a year (depends on how many roosters I get) and I don’t get either bunny or goat 😕 my hubby would flip out if I started keeping goats or bunnies, and to be honest, I have enough problems processing the roosters ( even though they start crowing and fighting) I don’t think I could manage either bunnies or goats 😬 I still remember one of the first batch I processed, I took them out every morning to do the “deed” , chickened out and let them go, at first, they were very nervous about being handled and struggled, crowed whatever, at the end of 2 months (🙈) they were so used to their “walk” they didn’t notice anything until it was too late 😅

So, not buying meat for a while
Trading your time/energy for saving money. I do that too, but we get potatoes, sweet potatoes, frozen beans, onions, garlic, and canned tomatoes out of it, instead of meat.

I used to refer to gardening as "my part time job that pays in food, and I don't pay taxes on the income." Now it's seasonal work. I enjoy it, so I think of it as exercise that pays off in two ways.

Its just not an efficient use of my time.
I certainly understand that. When I worked at my job, weekends were it for the garden. I was glad when the season was done.

My boss once told me that he and his wife (who also worked there) were going to go home and can peaches from their own peach tree after work. (They would arrive at 8:00, leave at 4:30; hubby and I got there at 6 and left at 5:30 -- on a good day.) He thought I should be glad that they were going to can their own peaches. (And I do know how much work canning peaches is.)

I wanted to grab him by the collar and say, "Oh, wow, Stan! I am so @#$%^^$#@ GLAD that you have the time and energy to do that on a Thursday night! By Thursday, I just can't wait for Saturday morning when I can sleep past 4:00 am."

Looking back, I should have done that, gotten fired, and found a job that didn't make me want to wish away 15 years of my life, so that I could retire.

In other news, I don't think I'll need to water the new (as of last week) seed today.

1709297023119.png

Think I may go to the Renn Faire in Milton, FL today. Just got home from the feed store, got the sprinkler system fixed, making sausage gravy for breakfast. Why work on any of the far to numeorus projects I have yet to complete from last fall???

Heck, all my Renn Garb is packed, I will look like an absolute Newb, but hopefully they have smoked turkey legs...

Back
Top Bottom