Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
So, the guys I was hanging out with today are actually vendors at renfairs. They've been doing this for decades, including the Michigan fair. They tell me the Michigan fair is still good because the patrons make it so. And there are lots of long-term vendors keeping up appearances. Fair management, however, has not continued to invest in the fair so it is not what it's reputation used to be. Still huge, still good, still pull some decent Acts, but not one of the top fairs in the nation anymore. Sorry to be the bearer of those tidings.
Ah. We might go; it's been on our "list."

We would have to make it a one day trip; my chicken sitter is my neighbor who is dying of heart failure. It's 2-ish hours away, so definitely doable.

What kind of acts are at a renfair? Jousting? Dancing? Music performances? The period is before my usual interests in music, but I'm always willing to try new things.

Thanks for asking about it.

Ah. We might go; it's been on our "list."

We would have to make it a one day trip; my chicken sitter is my neighbor who is dying of heart failure. It's 2-ish hours away, so definitely doable.

What kind of acts are at a renfair? Jousting? Dancing? Music performances? The period is before my usual interests in music, but I'm always willing to try new things.

Thanks for asking about it.
Ours had fencing (and with other weapons like daggers, the flails without the chain, axes, broad swords) on display all day by the ones who were in charge. All fake weapons, obviously, but still very cool to watch.

Some groups roamed and danced or sang for tips. Got a Magic the Gathering card from a Bard who made them specially to hand out to people who tipped him

Ours had fencing (and with other weapons like daggers, the flails without the chain, axes, broad swords) on display all day by the ones who were in charge. All fake weapons, obviously, but still very cool to watch.

Some groups roamed and danced or sang for tips. Got a Magic the Gathering card from a Bard who made them specially to hand out to people who tipped him
Oh there was horse jousting too, but I couldn't get to where it was

I've mostly been to medium sized faires. My expectation is a Joust and/or Human chess match. Some form of "bird show". There is usually a petting zoo and or an exotic animal ride for the kids. I expect some form of ancient craft demonstration - glass blowing, blacksmithing, etc. At least four musical acts, on at least two diferent stages. Interspersed should be at least four more "entertainment" - belly dance or similar, sword swallowing/magic show, fire dancing, a "baudy show, i.e. the washing well women airing their dirty laundry (usually hilarious, also, much mud is involved).

after that? vendors. Usually someone selling good weapons and someone selling wooden weapons. Multiple clothiers, multiple leatherworkers, maybe someone working metal armors. Cloak makers. Usually LOTS of crafts - jewelery, pendants, fantasy paintings, wood craft (wooden puzzles, wooden staves, hand carved wooden frames), palm readers and other fortune tellers, someone selling jemstones, various confections - fudge, cotton candy, seasoned nuts, mead, cider, jams and jellies, maybe teas. I've seen concrete statuary (we have a serpent sculpture in several parts that seems to weave in and out of the ground), green men (in wood , plastics, or concrete), wind chimes, wind spinners, yard art (colored glass and wire, mostly), bootmakers (Son of Sandlar are VERY good - pricy but durable), one of the faires we went to had a crafter making creatures out of glorified wood putty - we have everal of their dragons), etc.

Plus larger set ups with smoked turkey legs, gyros, kebabs, various potato preparations. Fresh lemonade and fruit juices. Usually a couple malt beverage places and one good beer hall with a couple decent imports. Soup in a bread bowl.

"Stuff".

vendors. Usually someone selling good weapons and someone selling wooden weapons. Multiple clothiers, multiple leatherworkers, maybe someone working metal armors. Cloak makers. Usually LOTS of crafts - jewelery, pendants, fantasy paintings, wood craft (wooden puzzles, wooden staves, hand carved wooden frames), palm readers and other fortune tellers, someone selling jemstones, various confections - fudge, cotton candy, seasoned nuts, mead, cider, jams and jellies, maybe teas. I've seen concrete statuary (we have a serpent sculpture in several parts that seems to weave in and out of the ground), green men (in wood , plastics, or concrete), wind chimes, wind spinners, yard art (colored glass and wire, mostly), bootmakers (Son of Sandlar are VERY good - pricy but durable), one of the faires we went to had a crafter making creatures out of glorified wood putty - we have everal of their dragons), etc.
THIS is the stuff that makes me spend money. Stuff that people make with their hands, heart, and soul. I will spend serious cash (up to a point, of course) on something well made that speaks to me.

I don't wear jewelry* often, but LOVE to look at what people make, and occasionally I buy something.

*Jewelry usually doesn't fair well in the garden. I wear gloves, by my fingers still get dirty. I don't even wear my wedding ring; haven't since I shot Bullseye, as gold is NOT going to stand up to steel checkering on the gun, and it's REALLY difficult to get rings over my arthritic knuckles now.

THIS is the stuff that makes me spend money. Stuff that people make with their hands, heart, and soul. I will spend serious cash (up to a point, of course) on something well made that speaks to me.

I don't wear jewelry* often, but LOVE to look at what people make, and occasionally I buy something.

*Jewelry usually doesn't fair well in the garden. I wear gloves, by my fingers still get dirty. I don't even wear my wedding ring; haven't since I shot Bullseye, as gold is NOT going to stand up to steel checkering on the gun, and it's REALLY difficult to get rings over my arthritic knuckles now.
I stopped wearing my wedding ring when my knuckles developed arthritis. Any other jewelry I wear I either break, or lose.

Back
Top Bottom