Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
I learned many useful things from a book called "Raising Rabbits the Modern Way" by Bob Bennet. (Based on Amazon photos of the covers, probably the 1975 version.)

I didn't agree with everything the author said (never feed anything but pelleted feed, give certain medicines at certain ages just in case the rabbits might need them, and a few other points.) But there was a lot of practical information that just plain WORKED (like wire-floored cages with separate nestboxes.)

I haven't read any of the recently-published rabbit raising books, so I don't know if there is anything equally sensible in print at the current time. On the internet, I find lots of information on keeping rabbits as pets (especially in a house), but not much about practical raising of meat rabbits.
Belated update:

"Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits" is pretty much the same thing, still by Bob Bennet, with the same information plus/minus a few minor details.

I got it out of my local library and read it to make sure. So there's no point in tracking down an older book if the newer one is easy to find. On the other hand, if you run into the older title (Raising Rabbits the Modern Way), there's no need to look for the newer one too.

and because I likely forgot to mention - there are 12 duck eggs set in the incubator (likely last batch for this year), and the rabbit had 4 kits. All are doing well, so I'm delaying the next round of breeding (which will also give me a larger area as an outside brooder box till I can build a mobile tractor for that purpose.

Now that I have an actual tractor, I'm looking at mobile hoop coop designs. Still a month away from that build, assuming all the other projects go smoothly. hahaahahahaahahhaahahaa!

And when I feel that way, I think of the song "Dreamer" by Supertramp. :lau
I listen to them ALL the time. Part of my work play list. With the Logical Song, of course. Breakfast in America. Take the Long Way Home (a definite Fave). Give a Little Bit. Goodbye Stranger. Not a huge fan of Bloody Well Right. its Raining Again is on again off again.

Back
Top Bottom