In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
North Carolina
C22CE497-410D-42E3-BB50-2774D5F40FF6.jpeg
634CB74B-6EB8-4093-9DF1-77AE1A31D2FF.jpeg
E9C6ADA2-CB25-4879-BF0B-D857843826DE.jpeg
E6218C83-BC2E-45A7-B7B7-ACE061E7DE78.jpeg
8C1B9A19-0852-4D48-8D8F-FF7233180693.jpeg
Okay, a little back story here. Last year I ordered sexed chicks from a hatchery. The hatchery I ordered from include a “mystery chick” with each order and I ended up with a white crested black polish roo. Being the only chick with crest feathers he’s been severely bullied and spend most of his life being babied by us and living by himself. This year I included some sexed polish hens in my latest order to keep him company. EVERY SINGLE Polish turned out to be a roo. I picked up 10 straight run polish chicks from the local feed store and with zero experience with Polish I can’t tell what I’ve got. Please help!

I'm going to take some wild guesses here, and I mean WILD! Young Polish are so hard to sex, but for fun, I'm guessing the pullets to be #1, 4, 5 7, 8 and the rest cockerels. How old are they?

They’re right at 8 weeks old. I have a feeling I have more Cockerels than what I was hoping for. Oh well lol. Thanks for taking a look!
I'm going to take some wild guesses here, and I mean WILD! Young Polish are so hard to sex, but for fun, I'm guessing the pullets to be #1, 4, 5 7, 8 and the rest cockerels. How old are they?

Last edited:
I thought that pullets had a rounder crest and cockerels would have “crazy” hair. But the only one I’m SURE of had the prettiest little round puff right before he started crowing. So I don’t know what to even look for at this point! Thank you for your thoughts!
A lot of them look like cockerels, you can guess by the crest, but it is kind of hard to tell...

I have a white crested black polish and I'm beginning to think "Fancy" is actually "Mr. Fancy". I have the same problem, the other chickens keep pecking his/her head feathers off! It isn't at the bottom of the pecking order and can hold its own quite well, I never see the other chickens bullying it but there's a bald patch on the top of its head. I got some purple stuff from cal ranch but she/he is getting opposed to being caught and having it applied. I have an easter egger chicken that is definitely a female...but she has started crowing like a rooster and not laying. Apparently this is not uncommon in an all female flock...the white crested black polish is younger than the easter egger. Does a rooster always rule? Or can a female chicken be the boss?

Turns out he is definitely a Mr Fancy! Crows super loud and big tail feathers now and the feathers on his head are super long. Bother.

Back
Top Bottom