Strange behavior just odd or ill?

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
My roo, who essentially appears healthy has begun this strange behavior. He droops one wing and trips over it and appears to list to one side. Then he rights himself and seems fine. A day went by and he did it again a few times within a short time frame. I checked him out and his wings worked fine when he got caught! His eyes are clear and he has no sign of mites or anything obvious.

Is my roo just weird or is he sick?

Are you sure he's not just doing the 'rooster dance'.

They do that to impress the ladies, and sometimes they will do it in front of another rooster or even a human...just showing off, I guess.

The lean to the side and spread the wing out and drag the tips against the ground. Also, I've noticed that mine stomp their feet up and down really quick for a few seconds while doing this.

If it's not that, then I don't know what else it might be. Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer.

Last edited:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

SO he's flirting?!?!?! Like all teenage boys trying to impress a girl he looks like an idiot!!! I thought he was having seizures!!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Oh Thanks guys I am glad to not have to worry and boy

I needed that laugh!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Yep, he's doing the Hunka Chunka dance. Every time I see it, it reminds me of the two guys on Sat. Night Live dancing in the bar to What Is Love.
Ghandi is good about dancing for the ladies, but Truman and Eisenhower would just sneak up and jump on them. Guess who the ladies liked better?

How old is he? If he is under a year old, it could be the beginning of Marek's, but I do hope he is flirting instead.

Marlene

Chickenjane, that was my first thought, too. I hope we're wrong. I know lately I've been "gloom and doom" so hopefully, this boy's just flirting!

Oh, I've got a copper black marans cockerel that trips when he stomps doing the dance...he steps on a feather from the opposite foot! HA! He'll figure it out!!

You should see my heavily feather-footed BANTAM cochin roos doo the dance!! I'm just going to have to video it and post it for all to see. They are both about 10 inches tall from the ground to the very top of their comb!!

Back
Top Bottom