Strange bump on newly hatched chicks head.

Chickenaddict123

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
This barn yard mix chick just hatched and has a strange looking bump on its head. Almost looks like it’s full of fluid. Will it survive?

Attachments

• 99CCED48-C994-48E3-88F6-294311062853.jpeg
    99CCED48-C994-48E3-88F6-294311062853.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 30
  • B27AA45A-F0EA-4750-8BED-11799D375544.jpeg
    B27AA45A-F0EA-4750-8BED-11799D375544.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 12
This barn yard mix chick just hatched and has a strange looking bump on its head. Almost looks like it’s full of fluid. Will it survive?
Is the scull open or closed underneath the blister and is it only liquid or can you see brain tissue also?

Is there a Silkie or similar crested breed in the barnyard mix?

Is the scull open or closed underneath the blister and is it only liquid or can you see brain tissue also?

Is there a Silkie or similar crested breed in the barnyard mix?
The skull looks open and all I can see if Luis. Now that it’s fluffed up you can’t see it anymore. I have a couple polish hens and a silkie roo. I don’t think it came from one of my polish hens but it could’ve possibly been from my silkie roo. I have another roo who is the top dog but my silkie does have a few girls

Sadly, Silkies and Polish are more prone to this condition because of their vaulted scull.

You could wait a few days to see how the chick is doing and if the scull will close safely above the exposed brain.

I once had a Marans chick hatch under a broody with open scull/exposed brain and culled it.
I am still wondering how it was able to hatch having to press strongly against the shell with the exposed brain.

Sadly, Silkies and Polish are more prone to this condition because of their vaulted scull.

You could wait a few days to see how the chick is doing and if the scull will close safely above the exposed brain.

I once had a Marans chick hatch under a broody with open scull/exposed brain and culled it.
I am still wondering how it was able to hatch having to press strongly against the shell with the exposed brain.
You can’t see the bump now that it’s fluffy but idk if that’s just cause the feathers are thick or it closed I’ll keep an eye on her and hope she does ok

Back
Top Bottom