Strange disgusting rubber shelled egg

richardeblack

Chirping
Nov 26, 2020
Hello All
No sooner has one worry receded and another crops up.
One of my hens (no idea which one) has laid a truly horrible egg. It is huge with a rubbery shell which has split apart to reveal a solid interior.
Only 3 of the 5 I have lay as two are too old and haven't laid for ages. I had 3 perfect eggs yesterday and all off them are eating and full of energy. None seem at all unwell.
I will try to add a picture and video.
I hope someone can help me.
Thanks very much.
Richard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RXZaTJJi1dh8oA6A6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/T5NbTCQzLrdTy4nh9

Does appear to be a lash egg. Usually caused by salpingitis, an infection/inflammation of the oviduct. If you want to try to treat the usual choice is enrofloxacin (Baytril), but salpingitis is notoriously unresponsive to treatment unless it's caught very early. They are extremely good at hiding the symptoms so often it's advanced before it's known.
More info here on salpingitis and lash material:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Thanks for the quick response.
I was worried that might be the problem. Would you expect it to manifest itself so quickly? Wouldn't you expect the poorly one to be off colour? Will it be obvious which one it is by looking at their vents?
Is it safe to eat the eggs we got yesterday?
Is it likely to spread to the others?
How should I treat her once I find out which one it is?
Sorry about all the questions but I am away tomorrow afternoon for the weekend so won't have much time to try and treat her, assuming I can't tell which one it is.
Thank you very much
Richard

If you feel your birds abdomens, below the vent between the legs, one may feel bloated, and that would likely be the one. It's generally fairly slow progression, but since they hide it so well, it's hard to know how long it may have been going on. They often don't act sick for quite some time. Some birds will live for quite a while, some pass quickly, it's hard to predict. Some birds never pass any lash material, it just builds up inside, so it can appear to be a 'sudden death' when in reality it may have been going on for a while. They usually stop laying when they have this. It's not contagious, you don't need to worry about your other birds. The eggs are fine to eat, also no worry there. It's not an uncommon thing in laying hens, sadly. Treatment explained in my post above. You can either consult with an avian vet, or you can get enrofloxacin here with out a prescription:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=67a6fd1d7&_ss=r
If you want to try treating, there's nothing wrong with that, just know that it's often not successful. It's pretty stubborn.

I've just been reading about baytril and it looks like I won't be able to use the eggs for 28 days or for the hen's life! I've no quarantine run so even if I can tell which one it is I can't treat her separately.
Is there any other treatment anyone knows about.
Thanks for the link. Very helpful and informative.
Richard.

If you feel your birds abdomens, below the vent between the legs, one may feel bloated, and that would likely be the one. It's generally fairly slow progression, but since they hide it so well, it's hard to know how long it may have been going on. They often don't act sick for quite some time. Some birds will live for quite a while, some pass quickly, it's hard to predict. Some birds never pass any lash material, it just builds up inside, so it can appear to be a 'sudden death' when in reality it may have been going on for a while. They usually stop laying when they have this. It's not contagious, you don't need to worry about your other birds. The eggs are fine to eat, also no worry there. It's not an uncommon thing in laying hens, sadly. Treatment explained in my post above. You can either consult with an avian vet, or you can get enrofloxacin here with out a prescription:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=67a6fd1d7&_ss=r
If you want to try treating, there's nothing wrong with that, just know that it's often not successful. It's pretty stubborn.
Thanks again for such a quick reply with so much information. Is it normal or common to get a perfect egg one day and a lash one the next day? It has occurred to me that it might be one of my old girls, Holly, who hasn't laid for about a year. I guess that as it is just puss this might be possible?
I do know it isn't the old girl who had suspected bumblefoot as she can't get up into the nest box any more although she has staged a remarkable recovery since being let out after bird flu restrictions.
Thanks again for all the help.
Richard

It could be one of the older birds, check for abdominal bloat, it will likely feel firm. That's usually how you can tell, if the bird lives long it will become more obvious. The abdomen can become quite distended, they may waddle from it pushing their legs out wide. In very advanced cases they may have trouble breathing from the pressure on the air sacs. I doubt the bird that passed that has laid in a while. You don't need to quarantine, if you choose to treat you will be giving just that bird antibiotics orally, directly.

It could be one of the older birds, check for abdominal bloat, it will likely feel firm. That's usually how you can tell, if the bird lives long it will become more obvious. The abdomen can become quite distended, they may waddle from it pushing their legs out wide. In very advanced cases they may have trouble breathing from the pressure on the air sacs. I doubt the bird that passed that has laid in a while. You don't need to quarantine, if you choose to treat you will be giving just that bird antibiotics orally, directly.
Thank you again.
I will have a check in the morning when I let them out. Buffy, the old one who had suspected bumblefoot has had a very distended abdomen but it has just been fluid which I have drained a couple of times. I think it isost likely to be Holly as you stay it is unlikely to be one that has layed recently.
Many thanks for all your help.
Richard

Sorry for taking so long to report back.
I have checked Holly and she has a slightly bloated abdomen which is hard. Also the other three hens who are using the coop are all laying.
We haven't had another lash egg but there are signs of white discharge round her vent. I will give her a soak in Epsom salts in a couple of days. She seems really well.
I'll just keep my eyes on her.
Thank you
Richard

Back
Top Bottom