Strange Eggs

Highlander

Tartan Terror
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Prague
4 of my girls have been laying for 3-4 weeks now, my 5th girl only started last week. For the last couple of days we had some strange shaped and wrinkly eggs from her which I know is common in new layers and I wasn't too concerned (But I know to keep an eye on it and watch for calcium deficiency if it keeps happening).

Thing is, hubby had these 2 eggs for breakfast this morning and he said they tasted OK but the whites did not cook properly. They did not "come together" in the pan (poached) and he was left with the yolk in tact and literally all the whites in tiny pieces floating in the pan.

Any thoughts? I thought funny shaped eggs were supposed to be normal inside?

Not sure, but I know VERY FRESH EGGS sometimes do that. I find that hard boiled eggs are hard to peel when they are fresh. Maybe someone else has had the same thing happen to them.

By the way, welcome to BYC, I saw your newbie post on the other thread!
smile.png

What are you feeding them? It sounds like a minor nutritional deficiency to me. Some chickens can have minor problems and not absorb the nutrients they need to produce good eggs. Keep watching her and see if the eggs begin to improve over time. In the mean time you can add to the diet with some ACV in the water and a treats of meat proteins.

Quote:
Hi,

Feding them all layers pellets with poultry spice mixed in. They have oyster shell free choice. They are totally free range and I also give them greens, oatmeal, tomatoes, apple etc. I have watched them feed and they all share and the girl in question is not bullied or not allowed to eat.

She could have troubles converting the nutrients she needs to make good eggs. Her eggs could also improve as her cycle for laying matures. It is also possible to have a hen that just doesn't lay really good eggs. I don't know what illnesses you all have predominantly in your poultry over there but there are also conditions/bacteria/viruses etc that can cause effects to the eggs. If she seems to be fine you may just have to count it as a poor layer and decide wether to keep or cull her.

Quote:
My neighbour has kept chickens for a while and she recommended it to me. She said it kept them healthy and helped them produce good eggs. Should I not be doing it??

Am I misunderstanding...do you mean poultry spice, as in the actual spice that comes in a jar that you sprinkle on chicken meat to marinate or before grilling?

I've had the same problems with 2 of my pullets but they are over it now..It was just a pain finding them with yellow all over their white feathers and a pain to clean then about 2 times a week. but now their laying regular eggs and one if laying double yolkers.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom