Strange puffy eyes...

Overoberyl

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Florida
Just got five hens shipped in two days ago. Two of them have strange puffy eyes but everything else is normal. There is no discharge, no obvious injury, no other signs of illness, and they are all eating, drinking, and poop is normal. For now I'm just monitoring them, but am mystified as to what it could be...I could be overreacting, but I've searched and searched and could not find anything online that looked quite like this... Two of the five have it, and it seems to affect both eyes. Has anyone seen this before?

Yes, they are quarantined away from my other birds.

The only time I've seen eyes with swelling like that it was infectious coryza. Some of my birds had eye swelling but no discharge. I'm sorry you're going through this. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks...I actually think it might be that she is being pecked...when I just checked on them she had several new injuries on her comb, so I'm just going to separate her from the others and see if anything changes. They are not in a big run at the moment since they are in quarantine, so it might be that they are too crowded, although they arrived like this so unless it was because of being in the shipping box it was a problem that was already in progress. None of the new birds are acting sick at all, so hopefully it isn't coryza...what was the timing like when yours had the eye swelling, were they already acting sick? If not, how long after the swelling appeared did they exhibit other symptoms, if any?

Or maybe she is being pecked because of the puffy eyes. I do have Tylan 50, wonder if I should go ahead and administer to all of them? I hate to medicate birds that aren't technically sick but I also don't want this to get out of control...does it work as a preventative for those not showing symptoms I wonder?

Thanks...I actually think it might be that she is being pecked...when I just checked on them she had several new injuries on her comb, so I'm just going to separate her from the others and see if anything changes. They are not in a big run at the moment since they are in quarantine, so it might be that they are too crowded, although they arrived like this so unless it was because of being in the shipping box it was a problem that was already in progress. None of the new birds are acting sick at all, so hopefully it isn't coryza...what was the timing like when yours had the eye swelling, were they already acting sick? If not, how long after the swelling appeared did they exhibit other symptoms, if any?
When I had birds with coryza, the others would sometimes peck their eyes. Seems as though they'd peck anything "weird" looking.

The progression was somewhat unique for each bird. Some had eye swelling and no discharge. Some had no eye issues or runny nose but smelled absolutely disgusting. Some had just a runny nose and some had all of the above. Some barely acted sick at all except for their obvious eye or discharge symptoms and others were really lethargic and depressed. Some acted okay but had ruffled feathers. Some had eye swelling to the point of total closure on just one side. Some had it on both sides, and some looked like your photo. Wish I could be more specific but they were all over the place in terms of symptoms. Each one was different. I wasn't even sure it IC until the necropsy came back. It manifested a bit different than the first time I had to deal with it.
hmm.png

Your birds very well may not have IC at all and I'm not attempting to diagnose birds I've never seen, not that I'm an expert anyway. I just know what I've experienced and I sincerely hope your birds don't have it. Try to keep them as strictly quarantined as humanly possible. If you have oxine, use it liberally. Leave the pen shoes by the pen, take care of the sick birds last and I recommend a shower and clothing change after dealing with them.

Sulmet is somewhat effective against the bacteria and Oxytetracycline HCI works very well. I can look up the dosage if you want to try it. If it is IC, they'll be carriers even if they recover.

Or maybe she is being pecked because of the puffy eyes. I do have Tylan 50, wonder if I should go ahead and administer to all of them? I hate to medicate birds that aren't technically sick but I also don't want this to get out of control...does it work as a preventative for those not showing symptoms I wonder?
I don't believe it will work as a preventative. I have no experience with Tylan though. I'm sending you prayers that it's not a respiratory issue. I hope it clears up and turns out to be nothing...
fl.gif

Me too...actually the swelling seems to have gone down a bit on the one in the photo...however I did notice a few bubbles in the other hen. They are both acting normally otherwise and there is no smell or diarrhea, or gurgling. So far so good I guess. I also wonder if coming all the way to south Florida may have caused this, it is a pretty dastic change in climate so I wonder if they could just be having some sinus congestion due to that...different temp, humidity, allergens in the air, etc. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed and I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

Me too...actually the swelling seems to have gone down a bit on the one in the photo...however I did notice a few bubbles in the other hen. They are both acting normally otherwise and there is no smell or diarrhea, or gurgling. So far so good I guess. I also wonder if coming all the way to south Florida may have caused this, it is a pretty dastic change in climate so I wonder if they could just be having some sinus congestion due to that...different temp, humidity, allergens in the air, etc. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed and I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me.
One thing I'm sure of is that anything is possible. A few things... not all of my birds had the odor. Some reeked to high heaven. Bubbles from some, thick gunk from others. None gurgled. They just didn't follow the rules and that made it more difficult to diagnose. I had initially considered a crop issue (odor but no other symptoms initially) with one and cocci and shipping stress/sinus discharge from the other with thin runny nose and puffed appearance right out of the shipping box. Because I'd considered those other problems, I did not initially suspect coryza and in highsight, had I had a necropsy done immediately, the peripheral casualties would not have occurred. I will probably kick myself about that forever, to be honest.
hit.gif

You may want to at least consider sacrificing one to a necropsy if they aren't better by Monday, though I totally understand how difficult that is. I wish I had some definitive answers for you... I really hope it's nothing!!!!!! Big hugs to you.
hugs.gif

Since one showed up with bubbles I'm going to go ahead and treat them all with Tylan 50. I would not even classify these birds as sick, the puffiness and minimal bubbles in the corner of one eye are the only signs, but I don't want to let them go any further with this. I would rather nip it in the bud if possible.

Since one showed up with bubbles I'm going to go ahead and treat them all with Tylan 50. I would not even classify these birds as sick, the puffiness and minimal bubbles in the corner of one eye are the only signs, but I don't want to let them go any further with this. I would rather nip it in the bud if possible.
Good idea!
thumbsup.gif

Please keep us posted..

Back
Top Bottom