Strawberry jam recipe wanted

cassie

Free Ranging
15 Years
Mar 19, 2009
I am looking for a strawberry jam recipe that originally appeared in Farm Journal years ago. It was called Heavenly Jam, and was it ever!! Among other things it called for crushed pineapple and orange zest. It was without a doubt the best strawberry jam I have ever tasted, plus it was pretty enough to be given as gifts. I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that my copy of the recipe is gone forever. I have not found another recipe like it and I have looked. Anyone on BYC know what I am talking about? I really want to find that recipe. Gurneys made a mistake and sent us five times as many strawberry plants as we ordered.....

Is this it?

Heavenly Jam
Farm Journal

1 quart whole strawberries
20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 to 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
1 3/4-ounce package powdered pectin
5 cups sugar

Crush strawberries slightly. Measure 2 cups into large kettle. Stir in remaining ingredients except sugar. Bring to boil; add sugar. Place over high heat and bring to a full, rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir and skim 5 minutes to cool slightly. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars. 6 half pints.
A good combination.

I found it here: http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/267591/3464484.aspx had to scroll down to find it.

Yup. That's it. Thanks!! I have been looking all over the web for it. Evidently not in the right places. Thank you very very very much!!!!!

I will add here one of my few, very few, household hints. When it comes to making jam with pectin (or without), if you add about a teaspoon of butter to the pot you don't have to skim. At least not as much. The butter breaks teh surface tension. Thanks again for the recipe and the link. I just knew the folks at BYC would come through for me.

You're welcome! Thanks for the hint about the butter and not skimming! I had never heard of that before. Now that I have seen that jam recipe, I'm dying to make some :)

Back
Top Bottom