Stray Rooster and the Urban Homestead.

He is pecking less, but he is uneasy when I enter his pen and tries to avoid me. He has yet to do anything aggressive unless I reach for him... then he pecks or winds up like he will peck. I grab him fast so I am not sure if he didn't have time to peck or if he is restraining himself. He doesn't kick or fuss when I grab him which is good because he has the sharpest spurs I have ever had in a chicken. I thought about filing them down but I prefer he stay confident in the ability to defend himself until he is settled.

He doesn't stink as much today as he has in the past couple of days or I am accustomed to his stink.

well between he is getting more comfortable, and getting rid of the nasty bitters, and food and water with ease, I think you will have a great rooster. He sure is a handsome one. and so different when he wandered into your life already.

Makes ya wonder if they weren't meant to be a blessing to you or animals just tend to know when a place is good for them, I had a dog show up at my place someone had starved, beaten and dropped off to die and they almost succeeded. there were lots of houses between location she was dropped off at. My dog alerted us and 3 am I got up to go see what he was so vocal about, just as saw her go down on the road, brought her inside the house and ministered to her until she could go outside on her own, she was in the house for 3 weeks under blankets as she couldn't hold her own body temp and had to syringe feed her, Took me 4 months to get her in the car without having a coronary to get her to the vet, and vet said she was only 8 months old, She's been a loyal friend for going on 13 years and one of the best I have had though she still hates red coats

He went into his coop without a problem. He has spent 2 nights in there already after living in a cramped cage all day so he had a head start on being homed. I had to put up boards around the fencing of his pen to keep other roosters for checking him out (and possibly catching something from him during quarantine) Although he ignores them.

Back
Top Bottom