Stressed chicks

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
So I have been reading about chicks getting stressed out. They are 5 1/2 weeks old. I have then out in my garage and my two girls go out and play with them all the time. I am sure the chicks don't care for it too much, but I just hope that I don't stress them out. When I go out there to give them food and water they freak out and all huddle in the corners. I try to catch them and snuggle them because they are so cute and I want them to love to be held and stuff. Should I not do that? I just want to make sure they are all friendly.

My experience is that in general chicks typically run from the big hands full of food and water.....

I don't try to force my chicks to play or snuggle but have hens that I have raised from chicks that fly to sit on me when they see me. The flock runs to me when they see me or when I call to them.... in time they have come to associate me with food and treats not an evil monster...lol.

I personally wouldn't let my kids "play" with the chicks because it can stress them too much. I remember as a young girl (5-6 yrs) my great grandfather gave me chicks to play with.
It was really kewl cuz I was a city kid and I loved animals. One of the chicks died and I got a huge lecture and guilt trip over how to handle chicks properly. I'm now in my mid 40's and still remember the lecture and how bad I felt the chick died. I had no clue that the chick was in distress.... he shouldn't have given me chicks to play with.

Now the fact that your chicks are now 5 1/2 wks old and I am assuming you have raised them all along I think if they were going to die from handling stress it would have happened by now....

Thanks for the info. Yeah the girls don't sweeze them or anything, but they do chase them around and pick them up and hold them and walk around with them. The only time they looked stressed is when they are being chased around the box in the garage, as soon as they get caught they give up and just sit there. We have some roos that were packing peanuts so those were they ones that I had given to the 1 1/2 year old to play with because if she killed one of those it was okay, but they all made it! The only chick that comes to me right now is 1 of my silkies. It is so sweet. I think it likes it when I play with it's tail feathers! They are so fluffy!

Do you guys ever feel like that cartoon character who likes to hugg'm and and squeeze'em and love'em? Just wondering

My chicks are easily spooked...when I lift the top off the brooder they all scatter and PEEP loudly...when I first put my hands in there (to feed, water, or try to pick one up) they do the same thing...scatter.

However, if I move slowly and put my hand in there and just leave it...they start to get curious and actually walk over to my hand, then start pecking at my rings...LOL. Then they let me pet them, and then I pick them up by putting my hands under them, not grabbing them from the top. I've also been showing my kids how to do this and they're doing pretty well (age 10 and 6). I want them to play with the chicks to make sure they stay friendly, but not scare them or stress them to death. So far so good, but it's only been 2 weeks...

That is a good idea about not picking them up from the top. I have noticed that on a few what when I grab them by the underside they don't get all freaked out. I was just used to grabbing them by the top because they were so small but now they are getting HUGE!

Back
Top Bottom