Stuck in the car with a coke and a duckling

Okay I'm now going to take this poor baby's body home and autopsy it. I believe it was duck virus hepatitis, it died with the opisthotonus symptoms and everything. Really nothing I could have done for it☹️.

If it is duck virus hepatitis then I would need to report it apparently 😬

Okay I'm now going to take this poor baby's body home and autopsy it. I believe it was duck virus hepatitis, it died with the opisthotonus symptoms and everything. Really nothing I could have done for it☹️.

I found most birds die with an arching, backwards head. Electrolyte and fluid deficits are common in ducklings. Bacterial infections can oftentimes be seen as well. DVH is rarer than both of those mentioned.

sorry to hear you lose your duckling
I had a silkie with splayed legs i have been taking care of nurturing it and it died today.
I had a silkie chick that was on death's door not too long ago, it was gasping and stretching it's neck for air, couldn't move it's body, wasn't cheeping. Gave it water mixed with yogurt, corn syrup, little bit of feed, kept it warm and you would not believe the comeback the she made☺️

I found most birds die with an arching, backwards head. Electrolyte and fluid deficits are common in ducklings. Bacterial infections can oftentimes be seen as well. DVH is rarer than both of those mentioned.
Yeah, it's rare but I still feel like it's the right thing to do since the duckling had every symptom. Poor thing didn't deserve to die, and if it is that horrible virus I would hate for any more ducklings to die.

Isaac 0,
Just out of curiosity why do so many people recommend giving ailing babies scrambled eggs?
Because think about it- babies hatch from eggs, and the eggs have all the nutrients that are needed to literally create a being, so are super healthy and chock full of nutrients to give a failing baby a boost.

@Everose @TOR I am so sorry for your losses. I am praying for peace and comfort. I also just lost a chicken today, a RIR named Ponyo. We tried treating her for over a week, even including tube feeding. We miss her so much, it was hard to watch her die. She all of a sudden did jerky, sudden movements, like a seizure. Anyway, hoping for peace.

@Everose @TOR I am so sorry for your losses. I am praying for peace and comfort. I also just lost a chicken today, a RIR named Ponyo. We tried treating her for over a week, even including tube feeding. We miss her so much, it was hard to watch her die. She all of a sudden did jerky, sudden movements, like a seizure. Anyway, hoping for peace.
Thank you for your prayers! This little duckling kept tipping over and paddling her legs and jerking☹️ I feel so bad for her...but at least she got to enjoy a caffeinated beverage before she died, not many ducks get to have that experience ya know😐

Back
Top Bottom