Stuck in water bucket

Mich_poultry_mom

Hatching
Apr 17, 2020
Hi there, I have a 3 month old Pekin girl that got herself stuck in the water bucket. It could have been 5-6 hours that she was in the freezing cold water in 30* weather. The rest of the flock must have tried to help get her out, because the back of her neck and upper back are bloody with many feathers missing. What I’m most concerned about is the back bottom half of her looks like she not only lost feathers, but the skin is brown on one side. I’ve given her a warm bath and brought her out of the shock she was experiencing. She is grooming herself and drinking water, not eating yet, but she is limping and I don’t want her back end to get infected. I’m also keeping her indoors right now. Any help is appreciated.
8ABB1E7B-527A-4ABA-A127-C772389E8215.jpeg
84FAA614-2FD9-4596-9562-B30D3D44A0CD.jpeg

:welcome

I would gently start blow-drying her off, just make sure it's not too hot. Don't give her another bath, you want her to be dry. Once she is dry set her in a nice, warm, quiet area, with plenty of food and water, if you have some on hand adding some poultry vitamins/electrolytes into her water wouldn't hurt.

You can apply some Neosporin without pain relief or a Poultry Antibacterial spray like Vetericyn on the wounds for now. Can you get some better pictures of the wound? What she needs now is some rest, I'm sure she is very stressed after going through that.

:welcome

I would gently start blow-drying her off, just make sure it's not too hot. Don't give her another bath, you want her to be dry. Once she is dry set her in a nice, warm, quiet area, with plenty of food and water, if you have some on hand adding some poultry vitamins/electrolytes into her water wouldn't hurt.

You can apply some Neosporin without pain relief or a Poultry Antibacterial spray like Vetericyn on the wounds for now. Can you get some better pictures of the wound? What she needs now is some rest, I'm sure she is very stressed after going through that.
Thank you for your response, she is in a quiet warm place in a bin with food and water. She seems much more relaxed the past hour. I was able to spray some Vetericyn on the wounds. Here are better pictures of them. I’m really worried about her.
F7AE4B9C-8389-4B32-B8B6-4B04CA146254.jpeg
82618E19-E186-4A66-B952-C8363A6924D0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom