styrofoam cooler incubator

sherrihargrove

Songster
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
i made one, cant get the temp regulated. i need this to hatch cause my mini incubator doesnt have room to hatch and i have 7 eggs IN THERE AND 7 MORE ON THE WAY on the way. HELP!!!

What did you use to build it? Did you add a fan, thermostat, holes in the incubator for circulation? A few more details might help to get it figured out.

cooler wire hardware cloth on the bottom light with dimmer glass from a frame on top to see inside and thermometer with humidity reading. got the idea from you tube. now with the dimmer it is holding. Oh!! bowl with sponge and water for humidity.

Very similar to the first one I built, I didn't think to put a dimmer in mine though, good call. Don't forget to add holes for circulation and keep a good eye one any temp fluctuations. When you go on lock down you might find you can't get the humidity up high enough so, if your hardware cloth is above the floor of the incubator(half inch or so) you might find it easier to get it up just by pouring water on the bottom through the cloth. With a bowl and sponge I could never get it to go high enough. Also, you might want to set up a straw or small air hose, like for a fish tank, through one of the holes so when you are in lock down and you need to add water you can do so without opening the lid. Just get a syringe from your local pharmacy.
Good Luck!!

air holes... done, thanks. and the dimmer was 12.00 at home depot. no wiring required, just plugs into the wall and the light into it. working great thanks

cooler wire hardware cloth on the bottom light with dimmer glass from a frame on top to see inside and thermometer with humidity reading. got the idea from you tube. now with the dimmer it is holding. Oh!! bowl with sponge and water for humidity.
You'll want to put it in a place that has the most stable temps possible, and check it often. Changes in ambient temp around it could cause the interior temp to jump or drop pretty quickly. So you'll need to keep an eye on it to adjust for those.

That's great! Hope your hatch goes well.
thumbsup.gif

how big is your cooler? I have made one couple years ago and it did not work, the temperature would not hold and was jumping high, I have fried those eggs, even though I made so many air holes and the top had to be partly open. It was horrible.

Back
Top Bottom