Sudden Chicken Death Sydrom?

Codiwolf

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
North Central PA
I have been around chickens all my life (65 years). So I know a little about them. BUTTT I just ordered 24 chicks from a hatchery not to be named now. 12 Welsummers and 12 Cocoo Marans. Just got them in the mail Tuesday and already 7 are dead. When speaking to the hatchery they said maybe this sudden death sydrom. I have been getting chicks since 2001 and only lost one chick in 13 years. I havbe had a few full growns died of no apparent reason but.... Now this, 7 chicks in a week. I have them in a metal rabbit cage with newspaper on the floor for ease of cleaning out. They are on medicated Chick Starter (which I have never had trouble with before). Fresh water from my well. The cage sits near a wood buring stove (where by the way I have started ALL my chicks previous to this batch). Plastic all around the cage to prevent drafts with roof top opwn but drapped with something on one side for the drafts, and a small night light in the cage. What the heck is going on? Are they all dieing of this sudden death thing.?? Please I am really worried these are considered rare birds, but this? I am at a total loss. Someone please help.??

just grasping at straws but, are you burning a different kind of wood now? I'm wondering if fumes from it may have been toxic to the chicks.

Well Drumstick, thank you for responding to my post. No, I have not changed my wood. It has been and always been the same maple, aspen, cherry and tulip poplar woods. Never had a problems before using these same woods with all my other chicks. All my others seem to ber doing just great. Running, trying to fly (hehehe), cheep cheap cheaping away. So I have a total of 6 death in what 4 days. The seventh one is recovering, seemingly. I thought it too would die but seems to have recovered overnight. Going keep it away form the others till I am sure and keep both eyes on her. Give a little prayer for her.? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom