sudden death to much loved pet.

Blaise

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 6, 2011
Hello
today my chicken died. i dont know what breed she was but she was a big black/orange hen. i had two and they were my best friends. they were hand reared and would follow me around the garden and come when i called them. my other hen is very distraught and i think i have to find a new one quick or she will be to lonley . i have no idea how my girl died. no blood, marks or anything. no signs of a struggle. it was night and i heard my other girl clucking like she does when the other one lays. which i thought was weird because it was dark and they usually lay in the morning. so i went out and she had just collapsed and died. she was still very warm like she had just died. it is so strange because i had just had her running round the yard that day and she was so healthy, happy and normal. i dont know what happened and i am scared it will happen to my other girl. i am very close to them. as i didnt have a incubator when they were little they used to sleep on my bed like a cat. i am devastated and i dont want to lose my other one. they would be one year old tomorrow.
sad.png

I'm sorry you lost your hen. Sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason. Unless your other hen is displaying any symptoms of illness then I wouldn't worry too much, I would however look into getting her some companions, they don't do well on their own.

Good morning, Blaise. Many of us on here have had chickens die suddenly. Doesn't necessarily mean they have something that your other chickens will catch. Sometimes the cause of death is some type of laying or heart problem, especially in hens bred for high egg production. I had a hen die about a year ago - fine at night when she went to roost. The next morning I noticed she was quieter than the others, and within a couple of hours she was dead. The rest of my flock was fine. Yes, chickens seem to do better in a flock, so you are right in thinking about looking for another to keep her company, and warm during the cold winter months. I am very sorry for the loss of your hen
sad.png
Funny how chickens work their way into our hearts. Good luck to you
smile.png

I am very sorry for the loss of your hen far too young. It may well have been her dear heart. I lost hen Annie before she reached her second birthday in much the same way - she seemed absolutely fine and then suddenly a heart attack. Her buddy BJ roo was devastated and I dropped everything to find him a friend to care for, as he was lost and depressed. Hurry to get your remaining hen a friend...... Again, so sorry....
JJ

thankyou everyone. i am going today to find her a friend. i thought she could have been egg bound but she had layed that day already. im ruling it down to her heart . she was fine and then dead in the space of half an hour which was so weird. the other ones not sick but she is lonley so i will have to find her a friend.

So sorry for you loss...we do get very attached to our chickens, especially those raised special.
hugs.gif

Hope you find one or two nice companions for the hen you have left.

i just want to know how she died. i dont want my other one to go to. she wasnt sick or anything. are there any ways to tell if they have had a disease or something except cutting them open. i dont think i could do that. and do you think the other chook would attack a bantam. she is an orpington and quite large. but its hard to find other orpingtons in my area. lost of bantams though.

Short of a necropsy I don't think this could be ascertained....

Birds are just as individual as we are - whether she and a bantam would get only will depends on the unique dynamic between the two...

JJ

Back
Top Bottom