Sudden down hen?!?

She is inside away from everyone. I think she’s like 4 yrs old and I believe she does… she is one of my blue Easter ethers I did get her from a lady about a year ago she came from tractor supply so I believe she is. The only think I can think of is the other chickens trampled her or something she’s still alive but not really opening her eyes anymore I put calcium and b12 in her water she only drinks and eats if I give it her I’m currently soaking her again in case she is egg bound

I would not soak her now, since if she is very weak, that could stress her enough to push her over the edge. Has she been laying eggs recently? Can you get her drinking water with electrolytes? Scrambled egg bits, watery chicken feed, and canned cat food are sometimes attractive to weak chickens. Fluids are most important.

Can you feel of her crop and tell us if it is empty and flat or large and full/hard, doughy, or puffy/soft? Look her over for any lice or mite under her bent and elsewhere on her skin.

She is inside away from everyone. I think she’s like 4 yrs old and I believe she does… she is one of my blue Easter ethers I did get her from a lady about a year ago she came from tractor supply so I believe she is. The only think I can think of is the other chickens trampled her or something she’s still alive but not really opening her eyes anymore I put calcium and b12 in her water she only drinks and eats if I give it her I’m currently soaking her again in case she is egg bound
Did you see her in the coop in the morning acting normal? It could be age or something going on internally. How is her balance ?

She seemed normal that morning..... I didnt notice her laying down or anything. her crop is completely empty other than when I give her water and feed her. She doesnt seem to be doing very well she wont stand up even if I try holding her up. Ive looked her over and her skin looks fine no lice or mites. when i try to sit her like shes laying she automatically wants to push her legs out to where she is on her right side. she is very responsive when im holding her though. She wont eat or drink on her own once in a while shell act like she has a hard time breathing. and she cant hold her body heat

Ive been reading about mareks disease but ive had these chicken for about two years now. Almost all of them are from tractor supply and a few that I have hatched out myself.
Her eyes look fine and she flaps her wings and can move her legs. The last chicken I found dead a few months ago I believe she was bullied till she was died. When I found her I found multiple hens and my two roosters standing on her

I did notice She was a little bit lighter than she usually is but its also been a very last couple of weeks. I believe thats how old she was the lady had them for quite a while until she had to move! She was a good hen

Back
Top Bottom