Hen found in coop hunched over

Renada_

Chirping
Mar 3, 2023
This is how I found my hen, Nugget, in my chicken coop tonight! Not sure how long she’s been like this. It’s 36° outside right now and it rained a lot yesterday. He feet are very red and look like they’re missing scales. She ate a little food when prompted to do so. Could she just be very cold? Can I give her a bath to clean her feathers??

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    703.8 KB · Views: 13
Her foot is injured and should be cleaned. You can clean it with a Saline rinse, which should be done 1-3 times a day until it is healed. Could you dry your girl off to see if she'll improve?

I'm concerned she's got something more than just wet and cold. I'm tagging some experts: @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

I would get her warm first, and dry her. Bathing a weak and already cold stressed bird could push them over the edge. Offer more food, but lots of water. Mushy wet chicken feed, egg would be good. Then you may be able to soak her feet in warm soapy or Epsom salts water to clean her up. Apply some Vaseline or Neosporin to her legs. Repeat the vaseline twice a week. She may have some scaly leg mites. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

This is how I found my hen, Nugget, in my chicken coop tonight! Not sure how long she’s been like this. It’s 36° outside right now and it rained a lot yesterday. He feet are very red and look like they’re missing scales. She ate a little food when prompted to do so. Could she just be very cold? Can I give her a bath to clean her feathers??
Had she been missing?

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Could just be the way she's standing.
I'd so as suggested below 👇 get her warmed, dry and hydrated.

I would get her warm first, and dry her. Bathing a weak and already cold stressed bird could push them over the edge. Offer more food, but lots of water. Mushy wet chicken feed, egg would be good. Then you may be able to soak her feet in warm soapy or Epsom salts water to clean her up. Apply some Vaseline or Neosporin to her legs. Repeat the vaseline twice a week. She may have some scaly leg mites. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom