Sudden Paralysis! 7M old Roo

zimmermans2010

Hatching
Nov 18, 2020
Yesterday I went to check on my hens and Roos (house separately) and one of my roos was sitting on the ground and didn't get up and normally he is all over the place. So I went in and went to pick him up and instead of him running franticly away he just laid there. I picked him up and removed him from there run and examined him for any swelling or dislocations. I didn't hear crunching and he didn't seem to be in pain, but chickens are good at hiding that. I pushed on the center of his pad and his claws didn't move. I moved him into the house and he slept eventually. This morning he wasn't eating or drinking anything.
0525AA6F-44AB-4DB4-A558-203CB173607E.jpeg

Sounds like he could've eaten some spoiled feed, or possibly contracted Merek's Disease.

There feed is in a food safe container and i fill there dish every couple of days. There run consists of dirt and rocks. I've checked around and haven't found anything that stood out. Unless there was some fruit they didn't eat until now from earlier in the week I gave them. What do you recommend?

There feed is in a food safe container and i fill there dish every couple of days. There run consists of dirt and rocks. I've checked around and haven't found anything that stood out. Unless there was some fruit they didn't eat until now from earlier in the week I gave them. What do you recommend?
It's possible there's spoiled fruit, & he eaten some mold. I lost two meat birds due to spoiled feed. Their symptoms consisted of leg paralysis, they still had an appetite, but ended up dying 24hrs later. The second one I put down since I knew he wasn't gonna survive.

I'd recommend double checking, & if there's no sign of spoilage, then the possibility of Disease is more likely.

It's possible there's spoiled fruit, & he eaten some mold. I lost two meat birds due to spoiled feed. Their symptoms consisted of leg paralysis, they still had an appetite, but ended up dying 24hrs later. The second one I put down since I knew he wasn't gonna survive.

I'd recommend double checking, & if there's no sign of spoilage, then the possibility of Disease is more likely.

Okay thank you. I'll do a more thorough search in a bit. If it is disease what is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom