Suggestions on getting Baby Turkey to eat and drink

Hey do you mean you let your baby turkey be confined with baby chicks? And what do you mean it's ok for a month or so. I am doing this, and have had my turkey almost 3 weeks now with my chicks. The guy at the feedstore said my turkey could die from eating chick feed (I mix my feeder up w/half turkey feed and half chick feed). So far no problems, do you know if this is true? The only think I have seen on the internet is that disease called blackhead that turkeys can get from chicken poop.

I know this sounds mean but it really isnt if you watch their mommas, the momma will lightly peck the baby in the head ( HEY YOU ) and then demonstrate pecking the food.

So when I get new chicks I do this I lightly tap their heads then tap the food they start doing what I do.

Put some marbles in the water and the feed! They love the colors and the shine so they peck them and receive the water and feed and good from then on. I keep them in for a cpl of weeks just incase they forget! LOL and thye sometimes do!

Just had a day old turkey die this morning, now I have another one that's not looking to good. I can't get it to eat or drink. I got a dropper and giving it vitamin water, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I can't get it to eat. I have got the food wet and the other turkeys are eating it, but I can't get this little one to eat it. I put it back down in the box and and it just lays down and sleeps. PLEAS HELP!

Just had a day old turkey die this morning, now I have another one that's not looking to good. I can't get it to eat or drink. I got a dropper and giving it vitamin water, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I can't get it to eat. I have got the food wet and the other turkeys are eating it, but I can't get this little one to eat it. I put it back down in the box and and it just lays down and sleeps. PLEAS HELP!

You may have to continue to use the dropper for feedings every 1-2 hours, but try a bit of honey-water instead of the vitamins. It will give a bit of quick energy. Then next feeding separate an egg and mix the yolk only with some water and feed this mixture. That will provide a bit of longer lasting energy in the form of fats...it also has a goodly amount of vitamins and such. If the poult makes it until the feed/farm store opens, go buy some Poultry Nutri-drench and start using that (properly diluted) for the feedings--it contains nutrients in a form that doesn't require digestion, the poult can just absorb it from the digestive tract and start using the nutrients right away.

Back
Top Bottom