"Sultans?"

I just love mine! She was the result of a shipped egg and was the only one my broody hatched. Contrary to what they're supposed to do, Lois has been giving me up to 3-4 eggs a week since she started laying a month or so ago. She's easy to handle and mine has done pretty good free ranging with the rest of the gang.
Lois--a few months ago.
Lois.jpg

This is Trinity who was rescued from someone who got her as an Easter chick, but didn't want her when she grew up. She doesn't like to be handled much, but she doesn't pick on the other chickens and sort of minds her own business. She lays 3-4 time a week. I've even hatched one of her eggs which is a silkie/sultan cross. Looks just like her but with gray skin & feet. She's pretty though, but she can seriously fly, so you may want to keep that in mind......
4477_p1010149.jpg

This was Fuzzy. He was a bird I ordered in my McMurray order two years ago. This is the sweetest rooster I've ever seen in my two years of owning 14 different roosters, at one time or another. He's followed me around, never hurt his ladies, didn't pick fights with the other boys, and loved being held. He never bit me before either.

Fuz did poorly in bad weather, just like Polish chooks. The Sultan's crest feathers can freeze up in the winter or turn into cold dread-locks in the rain. He usually stayed inside when bad weather happened, though. Over all, he was one of my favorite little guys.

The breed has a habbit of being sickly. Last December I took him inside because of a Respiratory Infection. The medication wasn't working so he had to be in for over a month. I kept a food cup in his cage, stupidy, and found him sufficated the next morning. I really loved this little guy. If it were any of the other roos I could have accepted it a while ago. Fuzzy was great, though.

Every year we order very few birds from a hatchery. I usually go with a few different breeds each year to increase my variety. I've made an acception in ordering another Sultan this year although I still haven't fully recovered from his death.

Showing any crested bird is a bit difficult. I'm looking to show my first time this June and am also going with a Sultan that I will hope to acquire soon. I'm also a young poultry owner but can say that raising this chicken was one of the most rewarding things that an owner can experience. Having a bond with him changed alot of my perpective on how to be a great owner.

This is a pic of him when he was about 5 months old.
LittleFuzz1.jpg

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom