Most Docile Breeds?

GrassClump

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I wanna get some flock mates for my White Sultan but I'm unsure of what breeds will be friendly enough for her.

20230530_185139.jpg

Ik Silkies are a good choice but are there any other breeds I should also consider?

I wanna get some flock mates for my White Sultan but I'm unsure of what breeds will be friendly enough for her.

View attachment 3523938

Ik Silkies are a good choice but are there any other breeds I should also consider?
I did a little research and found out that they are often at the bottom of the pecking order. I hope to order 20 straight run when the ordering for 2024 opens. They should do well here in the warmth of the south in the winter and the heavy shade we can keep them in during hot weather. I think that they will be kept separate from all the other breeds I have. Your Sultans are gorgeous.

I did a little research and found out that they are often at the bottom of the pecking order. I hope to order 20 straight run when the ordering for 2024 opens. They should do well here in the warmth of the south in the winter and the heavy shade we can keep them in during hot weather. I think that they will be kept separate from all the other breeds I have. Your Sultans are gorgeous.

Thank you!

Yeah after I got her it became clear pretty quickly she was gonna need more care than my other chickens lol

I've actually seen her pick fights and dominate over a few of my other hens but I have a buff orpington that absolutely despises her and is just generally very aggressive twords her so now she gets her own coop and run by herself 🥲

My plan is to fill it with a few other small and friendly breeds so she won't be alone at least

Thank you!

Yeah after I got her it became clear pretty quickly she was gonna need more care than my other chickens lol

I've actually seen her pick fights and dominate over a few of my other hens but I have a buff orpington that absolutely despises her and is just generally very aggressive twords her so now she gets her own coop and run by herself 🥲

My plan is to fill it with a few other small and friendly breeds so she won't be alone at least
Salmon Faverolles, Speckled Sussex, Cochin,l (bantams?), Silkies are very gentle & docile breeds.

Are those like buff orpingtons or are they two different breeds?

Orpingtons were first brought to America a long time ago, these became more of a utility bird. Buff is by far the most common, preferred color for American Orps.

Meanwhile, British breeders kept working on a bigger, softer feathered bird (floof, big "pantaloons" lol). The English Orpington is also extra docile and sweet.
My English Orpington roo is the kindest rooster I've ever met.

P1030185 (3).JPG

Back
Top Bottom