Sumatra Hen with Bubbles coming out of her beak

OK, talked to the State Vet friend of mine and he told me to give her the tetracycline and treat the rest of the flock just in case.
Also told me to isolate her(which she was) and keep her warm(which she was).
He said to give her probiotics(yogurt or buttermilk) as antibiotics are hard on their gut flora.
I am also going to give her some walnuts as you suggested, Resolution and get some of the cranassure. Guess I may as well cut up some pumpkin for her since I have one here.
Sadly, she will always be a carrier and he said she probably already had it and the stress of shipping caused it to flare up(I've only had her a couple of weeks and have never had anything like this before). Not sure yet how we are going to handle the fact that it's chronic, but will blow that bridge up when we get across this first one.
Thank you for the great advice, Resolution and I most assuredly will be using it in the near future!

Then most people on here say to cull or that the bird is a risk to others since it will infect them and be carriers for life.
Nice you are saying not to or not mentioning it.
Hope we are on the same page as to what illness to medicate...not sure.

sign of CRD....use aureomycin or sulmet if you can still find it. treat all of um. all fowl carry CRD to some degree or another.

some will bubble out of their eyes.

Quote:
If this comment is directed at me, I'm not quite sure what you mean? If it is, I'm not quite sure how to respond...

I think that consideration was directed towards me. I do not suggest culling every bird that has these symptoms because it is so incredibly common and invariably a consequence of the husbandry protocols created during the industrialization phase of poultry farming. If one is to go out and test the environments our poultry live in- we will often discover that mycoplasma is everywhere because of the presence of poultry smut ( combination of dust, fecal material, dander and disintegrated feed particles that chickens create and spread through their environment by scratching, dust bathing, preening etc.)

I'm a firm believer in preventative measures.
That bird may be a carrier but she's immune once she lives through it. Once you start using antibiotics -keep in mind of how many antibiotic resistant strains of one bug or another are out there. If you decide to cull your entire flock and start over you've eliminated the infection from the birds themselves but you've not eliminated it from the environment. This is why I suggest moving to the preventative measures- homeopathic measures- recalibration of husbandry protocols -

Last edited:
Wow, yea, where were you when I had to treat my birds, lol. So glad someone on here totally is opposite of all the negative things I was told to do.
That was my trail of thought, it's everywhere and very unlikely that any birds wouldn't come across it eventually. I treated with duramycin-10 like I was told and now I have to hope I'm not allergic to the trace amounts left in the eggs and warn people who want their eggs about that possibility... My birds are fine now, have 3 new chicks even!
My birds are my pets, so culling is only for chronic issues or fatal injuries.

Last edited:
Resolution-I appreciate your thoughtful, measured responses. I plan to implement some of your ideas as preventative measures and appreciate the fact that you didn't immediately tell me to nuke my flock!
The vet eluded to the fact that while this isn't necessarily CRD-it is better to be safe than sorry and go ahead and treat, just in case.
secuono-I just want to point out that if you go back and read, I stated that I understood that culling may be a possibility, therefore the other posters probably didn't feel the need to rub salt in the wound.

Quote:
They certainly can be. Foragecakes contain them as do Babycakes- but really- its the cranberry seed oil that is most valuable here.
The products I've listed here utilise cranberry biproducts that are higher in seeded pulp than the washed dry cranberries deemed fit for human consumption.

The cranassure is made of cold-pressed cranberry seed oil. Its also chock full of vitamin C- something great for human and bird when plagued with an internal infection.

Getting back to dried cranberries- yes- they can be used and are a fantastic preventative. Dark red fruits in general- pomegranates, black cherries- this time of year pomegranates are readily available- they work miracles.

Another fruit every serious poultier needs to know about is the paw paw . This is a fruit that can be frozen for future use. It is a miracle cure all in my book.

Persimmons are also useful as are Pumpkins- these fruits im talking about -they provide all sort of nutrients that your birds should be gorging on during the autumn and early winter.

Frequent supplement days through the winter of these antioxidant, vitamin rich fruits- and of course animal fat- these will help to keep your flocks healthy all winter and prevent against infection.

Babycakes are a fantastic supplement for adult birds for all these reasons but if you have a bird that is already getting ill you've got to stuff it with raw garlic, raw ginger, cranassure- and keep it away from pellets, mashes and crumbles- indeed once you've got a mycoplasma infection you've got to turpentine the hell out of the enclosures- change perches- fill up the coop with dried leaves- store contractor bags of dry leaves for use all winter- this is the ideal bedding-
Feeding tables need to be constructed- you've got to get your hens away from their droppings and their droppings from their feed-

replace dusty particulate feed materials with extruded kibbles and whole seeds and grains- and also supplement with these fruits as just roughly outlined.

It will be critical that each hen house is outfitted with poop hammocks- and that feeding table be built where all feed stuffs are kept well off the floor.

Pumpkin are also good natural de wromer too.
Also garlic mixed with cayanne pepper, clears there respitory and good for internal worms
and ACV in there water daily.
I loev home remedys.
Now that i know about the cranberrys and pomagranit, hehe i will be going out to buy some.
smile.png

Quote:
They certainly can be. Foragecakes contain them as do Babycakes- but really- its the cranberry seed oil that is most valuable here.
The products I've listed here utilise cranberry biproducts that are higher in seeded pulp than the washed dry cranberries deemed fit for human consumption.

The cranassure is made of cold-pressed cranberry seed oil. Its also chock full of vitamin C- something great for human and bird when plagued with an internal infection.

Getting back to dried cranberries- yes- they can be used and are a fantastic preventative. Dark red fruits in general- pomegranates, black cherries- this time of year pomegranates are readily available- they work miracles.

Another fruit every serious poultier needs to know about is the paw paw . This is a fruit that can be frozen for future use. It is a miracle cure all in my book.

Persimmons are also useful as are Pumpkins- these fruits im talking about -they provide all sort of nutrients that your birds should be gorging on during the autumn and early winter.

Frequent supplement days through the winter of these antioxidant, vitamin rich fruits- and of course animal fat- these will help to keep your flocks healthy all winter and prevent against infection.

Babycakes are a fantastic supplement for adult birds for all these reasons but if you have a bird that is already getting ill you've got to stuff it with raw garlic, raw ginger, cranassure- and keep it away from pellets, mashes and crumbles- indeed once you've got a mycoplasma infection you've got to turpentine the hell out of the enclosures- change perches- fill up the coop with dried leaves- store contractor bags of dry leaves for use all winter- this is the ideal bedding-
Feeding tables need to be constructed- you've got to get your hens away from their droppings and their droppings from their feed-

replace dusty particulate feed materials with extruded kibbles and whole seeds and grains- and also supplement with these fruits as just roughly outlined.

It will be critical that each hen house is outfitted with poop hammocks- and that feeding table be built where all feed stuffs are kept well off the floor.

Pumpkin are also good natural de wromer too.
Also garlic mixed with cayanne pepper, clears there respitory and good for internal worms
and ACV in there water daily.
I loev home remedys.
Now that i know about the cranberrys and pomagranit, hehe i will be going out to buy some.
smile.png

Oh wow, I always have cayenne and garlic around here! I love the fact that even if these home remedies aren't a cure all-there is absolutely nothing there that is going to hurt them!
These tips are fantastic everyone!

Back
Top Bottom