Sumatra Hen with Bubbles coming out of her beak

I'm just speaking on past experiences where I felt most wanted me to cull. I understand how they backed off here, and that's very polite of them. I'm gonna shut up now before I start a fight unintentionally. I was just glad someone had such a different view of it, haven't heard this treatment of the birds yet. I hope the OP's birds get better/are fine.
smile.png

Quote:
Again, sorry-I am the OP and my emotions are running high right now. Everything is sparking me off right now as I sit here in limbo!
I appreciate everyone's opinion.

She looks great! No bubbles at all(just the one time) and everything else looks fine-thanks for asking.
smile.png

She does, however, keep giving me a dirty look when I go out to check on her.
lol.png

I will be having a serum test run when my vet friend gets back in town and have it checked to determine what it actually is-refuse to take any chances!

This is actually a question for Resolution: I have been following this thread and am very interested in your approach to all of this, can you or someone explain why dried leaves are better bedding than shaving or straw, I don't use straw but wood shaving and have used the deep litter system. I what to do the best I can for my chickens and ducks. Also what feed instead of crumbles or pellets. Thanks to anyone with answers or examples. I am wondering how easttxchicks hen is doing too!

I would guess the leaves leave less dust than straw and lots less than shavings do.
My chickens hate pellets...I still have a 50lbs bag sitting doing nothing, lol.

Just peeping in. Wow! talk about a new approach.

a full clove of garlic, almonds and walnuts? and dried leaves? i'm not sure i agree with the leaves part but will ponder the other ideas. if that bird doesn't die of shock to the clove, who knows. totally new ideas here!

the approach seems plausible. something got into the air sac or nasal cavity and is fermenting.

i appreciate the ideas of old since they worked for thousands of years. our ideas (drugs) are failing after less than 100 years.

again, don't mean to agree or disagree with anything at all. i'm in a learning process. i will admit b/c i can't see the infections or diseases i feel i must fight them with something i can't see, drug chemicals. i get a mental block thinking a cranberry might combat a virus, bacterial or condition. something i'll try to overcome and look for more posts of your's "Revolution." i'll also admit i feel more confident in names i can't pronounce, such as a drug name. whereas silly names, like paw paw, ... well, i just can't take them seriously to be honest. no matter if it is a cure-all. "Paw Paw" has conceived limits simply because of its name.

Since this started yesterday, it has been a huge learning curve for me as I have never had a sick bird(other than very mild things that were easily handled).
I like Resolutions approach of prevention rather than getting to the point of having to scramble to treat something before you even know what it is.
I love the exchange of ideas and as of now, will be open to prevention-I want to be proactive rather than reactive.
As for the leaves, I wish I could get my hands on some, but since I live on the edge of the Big Thicket, leaves are at a premium. I do however have an overabundance of pine needles. Wonder how those would work?
I, too was curious about the feed. After thinking about it, though, I wonder if it is due to the tremendous amounts of dust feed produces? Every time I fill my feeders, I have one Barred Rock hen that starts sneezing-that has to be a bad sign...
Anyway, thank you all for contributing-I really appreciate all of your thoughts.

Quote:
I wish there was a 'neutral smiley' we could insert at the start of some posts, that way everyone can know we don't mean to offend. I think it would help a lot, no?

Quote:
Oh, pine needles, we have more of those than regular leaves. I think they would definitely be less dusty, especially if you wash and dry them first. Though I wonder if it would be the same thing with pine shavings aren't allowed because of the sap and everything...idk. There are so many pine needles in my chicken's run right now...I wonder...

I've also learned a lot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom