Sumatra Thread!

We have about 2 feet of snow on the ground here. It's been so cold, barely getting above zero during the day. Tonight the wind is blowing really hard, I just went to check on the birds and they are inside the coop! I'm surprised, they've only gone inside one other night, they like to sleep out in the run.

We have about 2 feet of snow on the ground here. It's been so cold, barely getting above zero during the day. Tonight the wind is blowing really hard, I just went to check on the birds and they are inside the coop! I'm surprised, they've only gone inside one other night, they like to sleep out in the run.
Oh my gosh.......my chickens would be lost in 2 foot of snow.
I feel for you.

I found a wonderful website about soft and hard feathering on different chicken breeds. I read that sumatras are suppose to have soft light feathering. I checked on several different web sites and so far they are saying the same thing. 

http://iowpoultryclub.piczo.com/poultryclassificationsforshowing?cr=5&linkvar=000044 

You misread. It says soft feathered light. As in it is a light breed with soft feather. That article is similar to the classes at shows in countries outside North America. They have soft and hard feathered breeds, in light and heavy weights.

Quote:
Yeah, aint in no hurry for 2 ft of it. I'm glad the kids had fun in it and since it was the powder type, I didn't have to make all kinds of snow whatevers in it with them. Frozen fingers aren't good, as it is, I've been walking on 2 ice blocks all day. But I do miss not being able to have a quick snowball fight in it. Good luck with the weather and stay warm.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh.......my chickens would be lost in 2 foot of snow.
I feel for you.
We have a big area shoveled for the chickens
smile.png

When it first snowed we got about 14 inches, the poor chickens jumped in it and just laid there with their wings out, I had to pick them up and move them till we shoveled them out. I'm surprised how cold-hardy the Sumatras are, they've slept outside almost every night and its been down to -15.

:lau   [COLOR=008000]I can understand kids being all excited about playing[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]in snow. It rarely snowed where I grew up in California but[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]once I got my license I would take my younger brother and[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]sister up to the mountains so we could enjoy a day of snow[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]and sledding.  My kids always had fun in the snow when we[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]lived in Michigan and it's always so pretty when it is fresh.[/COLOR]

Not much cold weather in CA. I woke up to 50° this morning.., granted it is going to rain, but it hasn't gotten lower than sixty daytime in like two months. Gets down to about 35/40 at night. My chickens think it spring. This is not normal for us either, as we haven't gotten any rain. Governor declared drought conditions, and we are scheduled for our first rain in probably two or three months. But it won't be a very heavy rain.

Not much cold weather in CA. I woke up to 50° this morning.., granted it is going to rain, but it hasn't gotten lower than sixty daytime in like two months. Gets down to about 35/40 at night. My chickens think it spring. This is not normal for us either, as we haven't gotten any rain. Governor declared drought conditions, and we are scheduled for our first rain in probably two or three months. But it won't be a very heavy rain.
I have family still in Cal. and have heard how bad it is there.
I hope you do get enough snow in the mountains and rain in
the valleys and all. Do you find your birds laying earlier than
other areas of the states?

Quote:Not much cold weather in CA. I woke up to 50° this morning.., granted it is going to rain, but it hasn't gotten lower than sixty daytime in like two months. Gets down to about 35/40 at night. My chickens think it spring. This is not normal for us either, as we haven't gotten any rain. Governor declared drought conditions, and we are scheduled for our first rain in probably two or three months. But it won't be a very heavy rain.

Hoping you get the much needed rain in your area and snow in the mountains.

I have a question, how deep does the snow have to be before people up north bust out the snow shoes that look like tennis racquets? Is this type of snow shoe even still used these days? Thanks for any help on this.

Back
Top Bottom