Summary vs individual notification

JMidJr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
North Central Florida
Is there a setting as with other forums to receive a daily summary of replies to subscribed threads rather than individual notification? I'm getting waaaaaaay too many email notifications. Yes, I want to know of activity on subscribed threads, but I do not want 30 to 50 emails a day from BYC.

It's a great forum and I'm learning a lot. But if I can't subscribe to threads I want to follow without flooding my inbox... well, I can cull more than chickens I guess.

Thanks imp. Yeas, I saw that thread- doesn't really address my question I'm afraid. I'm subscribed to a number of threads at byc and other forums (2nd declension plural s/b 'fori' if I recall correctly, but I/we aren't that literate or literal anymore - I digress...) and understand how to follow topics of interest.

In most forums, when subscribing to a thread you can chose whether you prefer an email update about every post, a daily summary, or no update. At byc it seems the user is stuck with getting an update about every post. If you follow a "hot" thread you can end up with dozens of emails about one topic alone. I strongly dislike that and may unsubscribe from ALL threads. Unfortunately that means losing track of helpful conversations which means I'll basically stop using byc. Makes me sad because it's otherwise a big favorite of mine.

Yeah, i get ya. i just figured out how to turn off notification of every comment on fb, last week. Millions less emails daily. Lol!
I stopped using subscribe here because of that reason and just use show your posts. Of course that means you have had to post in a thread. I think that has been requested by others. You could report your post and ask if the BYC staff can help.

Good luck,

Imp

You could use this smiley to post in a thread....

tongue.png

There isn't currently a way to do this, but we're working on something that will allow you to do instant, daily, or weekly email notifications, or "web only" notifications / subscriptions.

Quote:
It would be a shame for you to stop using BYC because of that! What if you made a BYC folder in your web fav's and just saved each topic to the folder? That way you could check on them every so often (how ever often "every so often" is to you
smile.png
) and you won't have to subscribe.
big_smile.png

Thank you, nifty chicken. Daily notification would inform without overwhelming. I await that development.

Itsy- that's a good suggestion; may do just that. Think I'll experiment with a thread and see how it goes. That's the part of BYC I like; constructive, helpful suggestions and information.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Quote:

Unsubscribe, but make sure you have at least one post on threads you want to follow.... you can then go to the very bottom left of the forum screen and hit "show all posts"... this will let you see all the threads you have posted on and keep up with the popular ones without getting a million notifications.
big_smile.png
Hope this helps!!!

Back
Top Bottom