Suncast shed & homemade run

DraftXJumper

Songster
6 Years
May 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Our coop is nearly ready! The shed was the easy part! The foundation it required took awhile, as did the run. My husband sandwiched hardware cloth between 1x4s for extra security. Still working on the run roof, chicken door, and inside of the coop. Not sure how high to put the roosting bars, or if we should use rounded bars vs 2x4s? Nesting boxes can wait a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    820.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
Hi!

I love your coop!Where did you get that shed?
As for how high to put the roost, Make sure there is at least a 8" clearance between the Roost and Nestboxes, to provide that no one poops In the box.:)

Best of luck and keep us updated!
:)

Nice!
Good job linking from your other thread! ;)
Use what ever you want, everyone has a preference,
I prefer 2x4 wide side up for my cold clime.

Thanks! It's from Home Depot. Suncast was the brand. It's blow molded, so I'm hoping the dead air space will be a good insulator in the winter.
Hi!

I love your coop!Where did you get that shed?
As for how high to put the roost, Make sure there is at least a 8" clearance between the Roost and Nestboxes, to provide that no one poops In the box.:)

Best of luck and keep us updated!
:)[/QUOTE

AWESOME ! Nice wind break with the Fir trees too.

When you get the pop door, I would love to see how you did it.

Yeah the foundation is the hardest part. But my other shed is not perfect and it has lasted through about 15 blizzards :)

The girls moved out today. After we put them in their new coop, they all started crying when we shut the door :( I know they'll get used to it, but it was so sad to hear. I will post finished pics tomorrow.

All finished! For now anyway, lol. Will need nesting boxes and the bigger waterer/feeder.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    803.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    889.4 KB · Views: 104
I would add a couple of windows. It looks dark in there. And you can't have to much ventilation in hot weather.
Unless you have a lightweight breed like a white leghorn, you will need something like a ladder type roost bars. Top roosts need at least 12 inches clearance from wall, for them to fly up to without hitting their head against the wall. GC

Back
Top Bottom