Sunny is very quiet...

Quote:
What TSC did you go to? Our TSC in Dunnellon doesn't carry it. They carry Wazine, which is for poultry. None of the feed stores around here carry any wormer specifically for ducks.

Also, you have to remember where Pet Duck Boy lives and his situation with his parents. He lives just north of Orlando, and his parents are not supportive of him and Sunny, and they are not willing to spend a lot of money on Sunny or drive Pet Duck Boy anywhere past 20 minutes. So if the feed store only carries Ivermectin, and he needs it NOW for Sunny, then he needs to get it and try to resolve her problems before they get much worse.

Quote:
What TSC did you go to? Our TSC in Dunnellon doesn't carry it. They carry Wazine, which is for poultry. None of the feed stores around here carry any wormer specifically for ducks.

Also, you have to remember where Pet Duck Boy lives and his situation with his parents. He lives just north of Orlando, and his parents are not supportive of him and Sunny, and they are not willing to spend a lot of money on Sunny or drive Pet Duck Boy anywhere past 20 minutes. So if the feed store only carries Ivermectin, and he needs it NOW for Sunny, then he needs to get it and try to resolve her problems before they get much worse.

Also Wazine isn't good for ducks, it's a water additive which shouldn't be used on ducks due to the amount of water they drink.

Thanks Shadow and Conch for backing me up.
smile.png

I got the Ivermectim, it's called agri-max. How should I dilute it again?

Quote:
Do you have a small bottle and eye dropper or syringe?

Best thing to do is take a drop the size of a BB and dilute it with about 3 table spoons of water. You'll need to mix it really good. For a duck Sunny's size, I'd say 4 drops would be good for each dose.

You'll want to give her one dose then wait a week and give her another dose. The secind dose will remove any that have hatched after the first dose.

It was a wrestle, but it's done. I gave her 4 drops. Everything else seems fine, she's eating...not as much but enough. She drinks plenty, and she's somewhat active now. I'm still confused about her being mute...she hasn't made a single noise for the past 5 days. What could make her mute? Even if she doesn't have gapeworm...at least I'm sure she won't have anymore worms if she had any. The gurgling she made while breathing last night is gone...she also isn't breathing as hard. But it's still not normal breathing. I'm going to try the steam treatment thing, I think if she does have a respitory infection it will at least help...even if it is it's probably a mild one. How long should she sit in the steamy room?

Quote:
Well since we were keep out duck inside in a tote in the bathroom at the time we gave her like 10 min steam baths and didn't open the door so the steam stayed for a bit. We did this everytime we heard he wheezing badly. Your duck may not need this, but it may help. I can't help with the mute issue.

The Mute-ness is might just from her hitting maturity. Ducks calm down a lot when they hit a certain age. Also, be sure to give her another does in a week's time, else the worms (if she had any) will just come back, and might even have build resistance to the ivermectin.

Quote:
If you can't name it, then you're no help.

IVOMEC is Ivermectin as far as I can tell. They have it in many forms: It's the active ingredient in Safeguard for dogs and goats, it's used for cattle and swine, sheep, horses, and yes, even ducks. However there is no wormer that is specifically targeted for ducks. I've participated in worming ducks with the 1% injectable cattle and swine formula. You hold the duck firm, open their mouth and squirt in a few drops from a small syringe. None of my ducks died from it.

Ducks are not chickens. There are many medications you can give chickens that will kill a duck.

It would be awesome if Pet Duck Boy had every option available, but that's not the case. It's also not uncommon.

Pet Duck Boy, I hope that what is wrong with Sunny is gapeworm. I know you love Sunny very much. Here's hoping to a good recovery.

Donna

Agri-Max will do
smile.png
As long as it's Ivermectin, that's all that matters.

What Rainplace is talking about is still Ivermectin. It will work just fine, but it is in a container larger than a syringe (like you have). Also, it can be quite costly, so I don't think your parents would help you out any if you wanted the Ivomec. You only have Sunny, so that syringe should last you a while. Just make sure of the expiration date, and don't give her any after it expires. That shouldn't be for a long time
smile.png

Hopefully steam baths for 10 minutes each day will help her clear up some.....

Good luck and keep us posted.

Um, I did name it. It's the chemical that was listed in the article quoted above.

Last time I offer any assistance...

Back
Top Bottom