Super affectionate duck?! (Video Link Added)

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
Ok, I'm not a duck genius... but from what I gather, they aren't as likely to let you touch them, let alone pick them up. Some will follow you... mostly in the hopes of food. I had 2 males (1 is now digesting in my stomach from dinner) and now I've added a female I got on April 2nd who was 2 weeks old then. She's fully feathered out now and huge.

I had her inside for less then 2 weeks when I gave up on trying to clean the brooder twice a day. She was out in her pen, where my other ducks would come up and eat next to her pen each day to get to know her. She's pretty large now and with one male down I wanted to introduce her to the other.

I had her out every day wondering the yard with us, eating worms and slugs as treats. The male would always come up and stay about 5 ft away at all times. They still haven't mingled... and she just refuses.

Well, to the point. We've physically PUT her in the pond to swim and she comes right back out. She stay like ON MY HEELS all the time. She's not afraid of my dog who tries to chase her, she rubs up against my daughter with her head and will lay down and let a 2 year old pet her. She wants on my lap and will rest her head on my feet if I'm just standing out in the yard doing nothing. She was rubbing her head on my husband's leg while he was fishing yesterday because she wanted attention!?!?

I'm shocked! I don't think this is normal for a duck? They just don't seem to be an affectionate type animals. I always thought my chickens more calm and docile and willing to sit and be petting... but this duck just takes the cake!

So does anyone else have a super affectionate duck?! Is this a breed thing or just really random?

She's reminding me of the duck on the disney movie Pacifier, just without the biting and she's not allowed in the house.

Last edited:
my duck ming mei will cry all day until i go in her room and pet her back and rub her tail. she';ll follow me all over the house if she's diapered.

My duck victor will run away from you and pretend he doesn't like you, but when you pick him up he's a snuggle bug. He'll lie on his back like a baby in your arms insisting on being pet on his head. He'll sit with you all day until you out him down. Of course the second you put him down he's all like, "ewww, people, get away from me" lol

It sounds like this wonderful duck is imprinted. My wife and I agree that a duck can also bond even if it isn't imprinted. Ours seem more affectionate this time of year.......
smile.png

We had our first round of ducklings this year. Samantha was the first out and the others took a long time to hatch. I was VERY worried that she would become imprinted and then I wouldn't get ANY sleep at night.........lol.

I just got two baby pekins over a week ago, and they both love to hop in my lap. When I introduced them to the new babies today, little Penelope just kept hopping up in my lap nervously, as if to say: Hey, this is my nest. Penelope also like to cuddle, loves kisses and like to be petted. The other duck, White Rain, likes my lap but is not as cuddly. . .I really think it is partially a breed thing. Our last ducks I got at the same age and tried in vein to get them to "imprint" on me (or some people say bond), and never had any success other than as adults they would walk up to the window when they heard my voice--but they were never pets like this.
That is very cool you got her at an older age and she still bonded with you so well--is she a pekin as well??

My daughter had a muscovy duck that was that way. When you walked outside, she was waiting for you. My DD would pick her up and tote her around everywhere and hand feed her. Hubby would also pick her up and hand feed her. She would pick at your toes if you had flip flops on and beg for attention. She would run with the other ducks but loved the extra handouts she got for being friendly. Unfortunately we lost her Sat - due to neighbor's dog attacking our birds.
sad.png

Congrats on your affectionate baby
smile.png

Quote:
Oh I am so sorry. Dog attacks are the hardest.... my sympathies to you and the family.
sad.png

We have pekins... sorry I thought I mentioned that while I was typing away! It just really shocked me.... as the week, THIS week, went on I noticed more and more behavior that was soooooooooo far from how my other ducks acted. The 2 males I had... my chickens hatched them and I was there watching them hatch... and they came right inside to the brooder with me for 6 weeks! Held them everyday, treats, ect. They ran from me! LOL

Anyways.... I added this little video of my daughter from yesterday because Lily (our female sweet girl) followed us up to the house, around front and plopped down in my garden to stay with us the whole afternoon. (You don't see the part where we come inside and she goes up the stairs to the porch and cries at the door for us to go out?!)

Fun video anyways!

my duck ming mei makes that exact same face and sound after you pick her up.... I always say it's her, "I'm offended you touched me....even though i wanted you to touch me" quack....

Back
Top Bottom