Super broody even after hatching chicks?!

Confused mama

Hatching
Nov 1, 2022
I had two hens who went broody 5 days before my incubator eggs were due to hatch so I put half the eggs under each of them and the hatched.
But one of the broody hens pushed away the chicks and continued sitting on the eggs that did not hatch and would peck the babies.
I figured maybe she wasn’t broody for long enough so I got 5 more eggs and sat them under her, the second lot have just hatched and she is doing a similar thing searching for new eggs to sit on and is not interested in the 5 chicks at all.
What is wrong with the chick does she just like being broody but mother motherhood ?!?

It sounds like she was confused after only sitting for five days and didn't recognize the chicks as her babies, but if she sat her full time and still rejected chicks, she's just be a bad mom. That's how some hens are. Despite being excellent at sitting, they make terrible mothers when given chicks. Others can be the opposite, being poor sitters but great moms, and then you have the hens that either excel at both or are terrible at either.

At this point I would break her of her broodiness. Being broody takes a toll on the hens well being and she can get sick from brooding for lengthy periods of time.

Last edited:
It sounds like she was confused after only sitting for five days and didn't recognize the chicks as her babies, but if she sat her full time and still rejected chicks, she's just be a bad mom. That's how some hens are. Despite being excellent at sitting, they make terrible mothers when given chicks. Others can be the opposite, being poor sitters but great moms, and then you have the hens that either excel at both or are terrible at either.

At this point I would break her of her broodiness. Being broody takes a toll on the hens well being and she can get sick from brooding for lengthy periods of time.
She has lost a bit of weight but not too bad (The same as my other broody) it is her first time being broody and with this lot of chicks she isn’t pecking at them, would you just leave her with them and see how she goes?
I don’t really want to have to brood these chicks myself 😅

She has lost a bit of weight but not too bad (The same as my other broody) it is her first time being broody and with this lot of chicks she isn’t pecking at them, would you just leave her with them and see how she goes?
Is she taking care of them?

How long has it been since the chicks hatched? Is she taking care of them by showing them where food and water is, calling to them, keeping them warm, etc?

She is doing okay I suppose, the chicks are now 3 days old and they just climb under her and she isn’t pecking at them, she just seems to ignore them a little I suppose. I have them locked in here opening it twice a day for her to go and poop and sand bath and what not.
One of the chicks keeps getting pasty butt (are the mother hens suppose to clean that and stop it from happening? I diddnt happen with any of the 10 older chicks)

Attachments

• C2F9CFBA-32BF-45AA-BEA9-9570E911DE0F.jpeg
    C2F9CFBA-32BF-45AA-BEA9-9570E911DE0F.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 24D6EEB1-8A64-4018-8A68-D32CFD1F6CFD.jpeg
    24D6EEB1-8A64-4018-8A68-D32CFD1F6CFD.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 8
She sounds like she's doing a good job. I'd just leave them be and see what happens.

Mother hens don't clean their babies like that. I'd continue treating the one chick until he gets better.

She sounds like she's doing a good job. I'd just leave them be and see what happens.

Mother hens don't clean their babies like that. I'd continue treating the one chick until he gets better.
The other 10 chicks are now around 3.5 weeks old with their two shared mama broodys they are with the rest of the flock (2 pullets) their Mamas do an amazing job of protecting them (even from my kids at times) when should I let the new 5 out with their mama and introduce them to the rest? I am worried about the older chicks attacking the new ones and the mama not protecting them.

Back
Top Bottom