Super loud chickens..... IM GOING CRAZY

SilkieChickenLover336

Songster
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
New Jersey
Alright, so I have 4 silkies and 2 I have no clues. 3 of them are Roos (Silkie) they have been kept with eachother for about 7 mo and I recently just seperTed them because i finished the coop and I'm going to get rid of the roosters. Well the hens are super loud and I don't want my neighbors to hear because they will report it. I just want to know why they are being so loud! I dont know what's there deal. They have been serperTed for about 2 weeks. At first they weren't loud. WHY R THEY LOUD!¿?!¡
barnie.gif

So, I think I understand that you have 6 chickens, 3 of which are roos. You recently separated the roos from the pullets. The pullets are 36 weeks old, are not yet laying, and are very loud.

Did they just start being loud after you separated them? Could they be stressed by the change?

36 weeks is on the late side to be laying....but I know nothing about silkies, so I don't know if they tend to be late. They could be practicing with the egg song just prior to laying. Could they be hiding eggs any where?

Lastly, are you certain about the gender of the ones that you believe are pullets?

Silkies tend to lay late anyways.
My hens are also loud but only when something is making them stress like a preditor flies over, but I have a couple who are really loud when they are about to lay. Thunder my 5-6 month old silkie has been doing the egg song for over a week and very loudly.

It all really depends on the bird I have some that are loud and some that don't talk at all.

Quote:
The OP said they just started being this loud, previously they weren't.
I understand how the OP feels. For those of us raising chickens in urban or suburban areas, we have the very real worry of ticking off our neighbors (some of whom may not be the sweetest people on earth).
What might seem "normal" chicken behavior or noises to us chicken-lovers, may seem like enough to tip off the zoning board to someone who has an ax to grind or is a miserable person.

In reality, the noisiest chicken isn't as loud as the barking of a German shepherd (I know this from experience), but somehow, society has become much more tolerant of nuisance dogs than the clucking of a few hens from time to time.
They may be getting ready to lay. I have one or two girls laying and their noise level definitely increased just before lay.
I heard so much about the "egg song" AFTER they laid, but I found that with my girls, the "singing" is done before laying.

I did a little test today. I put all the chickens together. The pulleys still seemed very loud. Hopefully it is the egg song! I've been waiting forever! They have been understress lately cause I had them in a small cage because my other. Coop broke and I had to build a new one. Luckily I got thy one built in 2 mos. I noticed their face is also getting red but it's not just the Silkie it's the Serema ( I call them mutTs) too. I'm very confused about all of this.

Back
Top Bottom