Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

So today I decided I'm gonna have to separate my females :(, a friend told me that eventually it will get ugly with the future ducklings because they're both sitting on only one nest (not 2 separate ones in the same box). So I spent all day putting together another nest box out of the same type of crate I made the first one out of. I gutted it, re drilled places where bad quality nails were, sanded places where any splinters were possible, took the bottom out so it's bottomless, then stained it. Looks better than the first almost!

Tomorrow I'll do one more coat of stain, and place the box where I want it, right next to the first one so that they can both share the cage when they hatch. I'm hoping for it to go either of 2 ways:

1, have mallard stay broody even though she'll be moved to new nest box and then once I'm sure she's broody I'll either split up the eggs that both ducks are sitting on now or give her just 2-3 of my eggs that are in the bator so that both sets of ducklings will still have the same hatch day
or
2, Temporarily break mallard's broodiness just enough for her to lay more eggs (assuming they'll still be fertile?) and not collect them and eventually have her sit back down. Downsides include having to wait for eggs again, and possibility of not sitting back down

Leaning towards option 1.
I would probably go with option 1 but i have neverr hatched or had a broody before🙄

We have 2 more this morning
And 4 left that are getting close to hatch
I did loose one and it’s my fault
I misjudged the bruise being right along the air cell line and the shadowing made me think baby had got in
But it didn’t and I didn’t make the safety hole In the bruise
Baby was almost absorbed and just lost air :(
Beautiful blue Swedish by the looks of it
Here are the two newly hatched ones
the ducklings are so cute! Im sorry about the one that didnt make it.

And now my dad is threatening to kill the ducklings when he comes back if I don’t do my “dog day” today that I thought I wouldn’t have anymore. APPARENTLY it’s still going to be the same with my brother doing a bad job with the dogs every fourth day, my sister doing okay with the dogs every fourth day, my other sister doing a bad job with the chicks everyday (kind of, sometimes she refuses) and doing a bad job with the dogs every fourth day, and me doing the dogs correctly every fourth day, and not yelling at them, and doing the ducklings well every day, and I think also doing the chicks everyday. I thought we agreed to my sister and brother swapping days with the dogs, my sister doing the chicks, and me doing the ducklings, at the feed store when we got the new chicks.
I feel you, i take care of the chickens, dogs, ducklings and do any chores around the house that my siblings dont do(well they can sit around all day and play video games)

No, he knew what I meant, he just has a bad memory and thinks he’s always right
When we got my new puppy my parents thought i was literally ignoring my other dog, even though i played with her, fed her, took her on walks, trained her. While trying to do schoolwork and keep up with my new puppy. Eventually they realize that you do a lot.

When we got my new puppy my parents thought i was literally ignoring my other dog, even though i played with her, fed her, took her on walks, trained her. While trying to do schoolwork and keep up with my new puppy. Eventually they realize that you do a lot.
That was me. We had cats and when we got a dog my sister hated her and got so mad because she thought we were shunning the cats so she decided to have nothing to do with the dog and whenever I hung out with her my sister would play with the cats in front of me.

That was me. We had cats and when we got a dog my sister hated her and got so mad because she thought we were shunning the cats so she decided to have nothing to do with the dog and whenever I hung out with her my sister would play with the cats in front of me.
Wow! That isnt even right... I hate when my siblings do that(or eat something that i cant have right in front of me and taunt me that i cant have it or do something)
I am exhausted at the end of the day. 2 hour long walks. Plus training and taking care of our ducks/chickens. And in the end my dogs are still full of energy, but yet my siblings from 10- 7 on weekend or 4-8 on school days play video games..

Wow! That isnt even right... I hate when my siblings do that(or eat something that i cant have right in front of me and taunt me that i cant have it or do something)
I am exhausted at the end of the day. 2 hour long walks. Plus training and taking care of our ducks/chickens. And in the end my dogs are still full of energy, but yet my siblings from 10- 7 on weekend or 4-8 on school days play video games..
Aw man I'm sorry. Maybe we should create a Support Group for Abused Sibling Keepers

Just hang in there! I miss my golden a lot and even though it was hard work I wish I could take her out every 2 hours now. 😔

Just hang in there! I miss my golden a lot and even though it was hard work I wish I could take her out every 2 hours now. 😔
I know. In the end it is easier. Especially because i will be taking one to college with me. As i am training my puppy to be a support dog. If i dont feel good he is right there to tell me.

Back
Top Bottom