Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

I have read where it works before but when the ducklings take to water the poor Momma Chicken sort of loses interest in them. I think she thinks they have gone off the deep end. Also she could not waterproof them like a Momma Duck can so deep water would be bad unless they were totally supervised.
With that being said I start my ducklings in water at 3 days old
Immediately they start to preen abc use the oil gland
Mine are under water diving by day 5 and oiled up
As they loose baby feathers and gain teen feathers they can get a bit wet and again bathing daily they fix it
I haven’t ever lost a duckling to drowning or soaking wet with no mom duck
Many think you can’t bath early but you can they don’t need mom to get oil

As they loose baby feathers and gain teen feathers they can get a bit wet and again bathing daily they fix it
-++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's great that it works for you so well. My friend bought 9 ducklings. Then after they were a few weeks old he got a large fortex rubber tank for them to swim in. It was about 9" deep. He watched them be able to get in and out with ease. The next morning he found 3 of them water logged and dead in it. They were not fully feathered out and still had mostly down on them. That was what made me think it was not a good idea. You were smart to condition yours to water. He did not and thought all ducks could just stay in water for as long as they want no matter what age.

Well i think she is a ancons but she could be a runner.
I am sure that she must quack for you to know it is a female. It's good to know that a female can have a green beak. I have a baby half Blue Swedish Call and the Momma is on the Maury Povich show for Whose Your Momma??? It is getting a green head. Now if only Hens could have a green head! LOL

Looks like it’s my 2 silver anconas with the green on the bill
Such beautiful babies. I have a half Black Swedish call and I was hoping for a hen but it had a yellow beak with black spots now appearing but starting to get a green sheen to its head which means more than likely a drake. The Call it is from has a green beak with black spots on it so its beak will probably turn green as it ages. All of my drake calls have green beaks with black spots on them.

Such beautiful babies. I have a half Black Swedish call and I was hoping for a hen but it had a yellow beak with black spots now appearing but starting to get a green sheen to its head which means more than likely a drake. The Call it is from has a green beak with black spots on it so its beak will probably turn green as it ages. All of my drake calls have green beaks with black spots on them.
I have one girl with a green sheen to her head
Don’t give up yet
This is her with who her mom and dad are
I almost gave her away thinking she was a boy cause of the green then she started her honk noises
Kept her and now she is a year old :)

Attachments

• A019238B-DC28-470C-8C31-764F8A18DB3E.png
    A019238B-DC28-470C-8C31-764F8A18DB3E.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • C945FE38-A408-4D3D-AC4B-2D77AFE21C1E.png
    C945FE38-A408-4D3D-AC4B-2D77AFE21C1E.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • AC32F074-1D13-4CD6-ADA0-D59017B15BAC.png
    AC32F074-1D13-4CD6-ADA0-D59017B15BAC.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • F7D7EEA7-D621-4DF7-B2DC-0C7491D2F4EA.png
    F7D7EEA7-D621-4DF7-B2DC-0C7491D2F4EA.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
-++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's great that it works for you so well. My friend bought 9 ducklings. Then after they were a few weeks old he got a large fortex rubber tank for them to swim in. It was about 9" deep. He watched them be able to get in and out with ease. The next morning he found 3 of them water logged and dead in it. They were not fully feathered out and still had mostly down on them. That was what made me think it was not a good idea. You were smart to condition yours to water. He did not and thought all ducks could just stay in water for as long as they want no matter what age.
That’s why starting younger is better and I always supervise
My 4 week olds are in a cement mixing tub now it’s not really deep and I can leave them unattended
I don’t leave them with the kid pool or my deep ponds till they are fully feathered out
They will loose oil as the new teen feathers come in and need to oil daily though

I have one girl with a green sheen to her head
Don’t give up yet
This is her with who her mom and dad are
I almost gave her away thinking she was a boy cause of the green then she started her honk noises
Kept her and now she is a year old :)
Oh Thanks for that. I am still hoping as it is not a full blast green yet but it is only less than 3 weeks old. Your ducks are beautiful!! I had thought that I had heard on here a while back someone else had one with a green sheen and it turned out to be a female. The beak surely looks like one so I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Oh Thanks for that. I am still hoping as it is not a full blast green yet but it is only less than 3 weeks old. Your ducks are beautiful!! I had thought that I had heard on here a while back someone else had one with a green sheen and it turned out to be a female. The beak surely looks like one so I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Let’s hope yours is a girl too

@Corbdee how are the ducklings?
Hey guys!! Long time no talk. The ducklings are enormous! They've all got their adult feathers (not their true gender plumage yet but still), and as of now, at almost weeks old, they're all quacking :D. It's probably too early to let that determine their sex but it's nice to hear what sounds like more than 2 females for a change😅. They're also so much friendlier than my adult ducks, which is what I set out for them to be, so im happy about that.

How is everyone?

Back
Top Bottom