Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

Hey guys!! Long time no talk. The ducklings are enormous! They've all got their adult feathers (not their true gender plumage yet but still), and as of now, at almost weeks old, they're all quacking :D. It's probably too early to let that determine their sex but it's nice to hear what sounds like more than 2 females for a change😅. They're also so much friendlier than my adult ducks, which is what I set out for them to be, so im happy about that.

How is everyone?
Yay :)
Do we have pictures ?
Ps boys never quack so you must have girls

Anyone have success hatching a baby that got a bit damaged by another bird laying an egg in the nest
I’m going to block her off so they can’t keep laying in her nest Every morning I take 3 eggs out so 3 girls are going in there
The egg was fine yesterday as I check them daily to remove the new eggs
These guys are day 19
Mom has been so good and dedicated
Do I leave it the way it is
Try to repair it ? How ?
Or let nature take its course
Baby is still moving right now and very much alive but it’s only just happened this morning
I’m going to go build her enclosure so at night I can lock her in so her sisters don’t go lay in her box in the morning
In the day she needs to be able to come out of the pen to eat , drink and bath
She does this twice a day
All girls lay before I let them out so this should work

Attachments

• 4A851D2D-D813-4114-A935-CAAE209807EC.png
    4A851D2D-D813-4114-A935-CAAE209807EC.png
    2 MB · Views: 2
Anyone have success hatching a baby that got a bit damaged by another bird laying an egg in the nest
I’m going to block her off so they can’t keep laying in her nest Every morning I take 3 eggs out so 3 girls are going in there
The egg was fine yesterday as I check them daily to remove the new eggs
These guys are day 19
Mom has been so good and dedicated
Do I leave it the way it is
Try to repair it ? How ?
Or let nature take its course
Baby is still moving right now and very much alive but it’s only just happened this morning
I’m going to go build her enclosure so at night I can lock her in so her sisters don’t go lay in her box in the morning
In the day she needs to be able to come out of the pen to eat , drink and bath
She does this twice a day
All girls lay before I let them out so this should work
Yikes! I've heard you can seal it with wax (I think both from a posted and a chick called albert) but I haven't tried before.

That being said, I had a chicken egg that got rather crunched on day 22 (my coop is too dry for hatching, and momma bird was having no shit and jumped off me onto an egg) ... I left the egg under momma and the chick came out fine. ... Different timeline though.

I have heard of someone taking part of another shell and putting wax over it to seal it and hatching one out that way. You open an egg that you don't want and use part of that shell to cover the exposed part of the egg that you are trying to save. They put wax all around the edges of the new shell over the old exposed part and it worked fine. That is what I would try myself. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom