Surgery a few days ago, was doing great, now lethargic

Pics
I’m sorry that her crop is still not emptying. I have dealt with multiple crop issues, but have not ever had any success. My hens were all over 5 when they had problems, and the crop issues were related to other issues. I could not save them.

Her crop is still full this morning.

I can't tell you my disappointment. Should I empty it?

When does pendulous set in? Could it at this stage?

It has a water balloon type feel to it stil

I’m sorry that her crop is still not emptying. I have dealt with multiple crop issues, but have not ever had any success. My hens were all over 5 when they had problems, and the crop issues were related to other issues. I could not save them.
I don't know what else to do.

I don't know what else to do.
Dont lose hope. There are things you can try, and she has already proven to be so very strong. Have some confidence in yourself, and your judgement, she's in good hands.

I saw a video recently about sour crop, I dont have experiece with it, but the woman basically used a multiple step method. It went something like:
1. Starve the yeast infection. 2. reintroduce healthy bacteria through yogurt and other similar foods. 3. Wean back onto full diet.
The lady in the video claimed she has used this method with several hens, with success every time.

I'll see if maybe I can find the link. But Im not sure if this method would be best for your hen since she is recovering from surgery, and on different medications.
My gut feeling is that feeding yogurt and that kind of food, while the yeast is trying to be fought, may not be a good idea. It seems counterproductive due to the bacteria cultures in the yogurt, which would feed the yeast? But again, I dont know a lot about this, so I would really need to find the link for all the information. Lest I muddle up some of it and give you the wrong idea.

And again, I don't know how this would work for your hen since she is under various medications at present.
But have some hope, there are different methods in treating sour crop, you have options. She's in very good hands with you, and I can see that you have some of the most knowledgable members of the BYC community here to help you through this.

Are you using plain yogurt that contains Lactobacillus and no natural sweeteners? This type of yogurt is good for her and could be beneficial for her sour crop, amongst other things. If I were you, I'd steer clear of other yogurts with sweeteners.
You're doing an amazing job! Cheering for Maybelle to make a full recovery with the assistance of her loving human 🙏🏻 Prayers for you both 💜

Are you using plain yogurt that contains Lactobacillus and no natural sweeteners? This type of yogurt is good for her and could be beneficial for her sour crop, amongst other things. If I were you, I'd steer clear of other yogurts with sweeteners.
You're doing an amazing job! Cheering for Maybelle to make a full recovery with the assistance of her loving human 🙏🏻 Prayers for you both 💜
@beloved Birds
Right now I'm just tube feeding a mix of raw egg, yogurt, and a sprinkle of probiotic powder for each feeding. I've read garlic is helpful so planned to add a clove of that to the next mix and giving her 20 ml about every 3 hours. I'm grinding down her meds into the mix and giving her Nutri Dench in the morning. If anyone thinks I should change this routine, please tell me! I added a tsp of olive oil this morning as I read on BYC that it can help.
When I feel her crop, it has a squishy balloon feeling and I don't feel crunchy or hard spots. Her breath does not smell either. I've been massaging her crop. She loves that.

Besides the crop that isn't emptying by morning, she also won't eat on her own. She is drinking on her own and her energy seems light to moderately below normal. However, some of that may be the extreme boredom of nothing to do in a dog crate in the house. Her eyes look clear. Stool looks liquidy, but she's on a liquid diet. Overall, looking at her, she looks pretty good and if she would eat normally, I wonder if her energy and stool would clear up. I've also wondered if the meds are tiring her out some? I'll attach pics of her from this morning.

I am attaching pics of the yogurt I'm feeding her. Is that yogurt ok, or no? PXL_20221005_133603471.jpg PXL_20221005_133603471.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221005_133608376.jpg
    PXL_20221005_133608376.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221005_133541546.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221005_133541546.MP.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20221005_132802469.jpg
    PXL_20221005_132802469.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221005_132750823.jpg
    PXL_20221005_132750823.jpg